The Indian Express | 3 days ago | 23-09-2022 | 05:45 pm
The Bombay High Court on Friday allowed the Uddhav Thackeray-led Shiv Sena to hold its annual Dussehra rally at the iconic Shivaji Park ground in Mumbai on October 5. The order has come as a big win for the Thackeray camp as the BMC, the Mumbai’s civic body, had earlier refused them the permission to hold the rally.Stating that the BMC order was a “clear abuse of process of law”, a division bench of Justices R D Dhanuka and Kamal Khata allowed the Thackeray-led party to use the ground from October 2 to October 6 while asking it to maintain law and order.“We are satisfied that in this case the BMC has misused the power by refusing grant of permission on flimsy ground that there was another application and would create law and order situation. In our view, the petitioners made case to quash impugned order passed by BMC. We accordingly hold that order dated September 21 passed by BMC based on application by petitioner is quashed and set aside,” it added.On September 21, the BMC had refused permission to the Thackeray camp as a similar application had been filed by MLA Sada Sarvankar of the rival Sena faction led by Maharashtra Chief Minister Eknath Shinde, and said if permission was granted to one faction, it would lead to law and order problems as apprehended by local police.The court also rejected an interim application in the HC filed by Mahim MLA Sada Sarvankar, who belongs to the Shinde faction, against the plea filed by the Thackeray camp.Sarvankar had sought to be made party in the Thackeray faction’s plea and also to stay proceedings, since the dispute between the two Sena factions – over which is the real Shiv Sena – is pending before the Supreme Court and the Election Commission of India.
BHIWANDI: Nizampura police on Monday arrested four villagers from Pilanipada village in Bhiwandi taluka in Thane district on charges of attacking a pastor and his associate over alleged conversion of locals to Christianity. Police said pastor Sujit Chikoli and his associate Justin Abraham, both residents of Navi Mumbai, on September 22, were returning to their home from Pilanipada village after addressing a crowd of around 40 people when four persons beat them up with a belt.-Pradeep Gupta
MUMBAI: Worli police are probing a case of extortion where a person sent death threat messages from WhatsApp to a news channel journalist and demanded Rs 5 crore. A senior officer said they learnt that the accused had sent similar messages to others too. “Going by the number and profile, it seems he is the same person,” said a senior officer. The 42-year-old journalist had lodged a complaint few days back, after he received threat messages. Initially, he ignored the messages but when the sender told the complainant he would kill him and named him in the message, the complainant got worried and approached police to lodge an FIR. “This could be a fake name. We are probing the case,” said the officer. Another police officer said he tnumber was from Maharashtra.
MUMBAI: A statewide campaign was launched on Monday to screen women and girls for health problems. The 10-day campaign 'Mata surakshit tar ghar surakshit' will run parallel with Navratri celebrations at public health centres. Dr Mangala Gomare, BMC's executive health officer, said the campaign has been started on instructions of the state government and will target women above 18. Health care workers will carry out primary examination.
Pune: A month-long traffic diversion will now be put in place in the Range Hills area to assist the ongoing Metro works. The city traffic police department, along with Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation Limited (MahaMetro) has asked road users to make use of alternative routes to avoid traffic chaos. As per the plan, the rail underpass near the Government Hatcheries Chowk will remain closed for vehicles coming from Old Mumbai-Pune Highway towards Range Hills. The diversions will remain in place till November 2. MahaMetro has undertaken works for Metro pillars and launching segments near two rail underpasses in Range Hills. Boards have been installed on both sides of the underpasses to alert road users about the diversions. MahaMetro has said that wardens have also been deployed at the diversions. Meanwhile, road users said the authorities should install more direction boards.
MUMBAI: A two-year-old boy died of an electric shock after touching a water heater in a bucket at his Nalasopara home on Sunday. Achole police said on Sunday afternoon that Dev Kagda, a resident of Ekta Valmiki Welfare Society, switched on the heater in the bathroom and left it unattended. His son Ansh walked into the bathroom and put his hand in the water-filled bucket. He sustained an electric shock from the heater and died on the spot. A case of accidental death was registered.