Times of India | 1 month ago | 08-12-2022 | 09:23 am
The tension between the two BJP-governed states has escalated over the last fortnight against the backdrop of imminent hearing of the SC case on the border dispute. Karnataka also faces assembly polls in April-May 2023. Here are key points about the ongoing border row between two neighbouring states: Maharashtra chief minister Eknath Shinde and deputy CM Devendra Fadnavis spoke to Union home minister Amit Shah on the phone on Wednesday, requesting his intervention on the issue. The border tension also echoed in Parliament with demonstrations from Shiv Sena (UBT) and NCP MPs. In the Lok Sabha, NCP leader Supriya Sule asked for intervention from the Union home minister. Karnataka home minister Arga Jnanendra said the state will not allow any Maharashtra functionary to make provocative statements in Belagavi. Jnanendra’s warning comes in response to Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief and former Maharashtra CM Sharad Pawar saying he would travel to Belagavi in the next 48 hoursand meet with activists. Karnataka home minister Arga Jnanendra said police in both Maharashtra and Karnataka have held meetings and are working together to defuse tension on the border. Karnataka minister and minister in charge of Belagavi district, Govind Karjol, said the Maharashtra government and its functionaries need to understand that all states are under a federal structure and they must respect all parties. “Karnataka will not sacrifice an inch of its land,” said Karjol. He said Maharashtra politicians are trying to gain political mileage from raking up the border dispute. ‘End attacks, or trips to Karnataka will stop’ An outfit staged a protest outside Karnataka Bank in Nashik and Shiv Sena (UBT) workers blackened two Karnataka state transport buses on Wednesday. Maharashtra’s transporters said they would stop movement of trucks to Karnataka if the attacks on their vehicles don’t end. For peace, but no change in stand on row, says Bommai Maharashtra CM Eknath Shinde said he had also spoken to his Karnataka counterpart Basavaraj Bommai. “I said there should be strong action against those who attacked vehicles from Maharashtra. And since the border issue is in Supreme Court, law and order should be maintained in both states,” Shinde said. Confirming the talk, Bommai tweeted, “We both agreed there should be peace and law and order should be maintained in both states since there is a harmonious relationship between people of both states. ” He added, “There is no change on our stand as far as Karnataka border is concerned. Legal battle will be pursued in SC. ” Sanjay Raut targets Shinde and Centre Saying the Shinde government was “impotent,” Shiv Sena’s (UBT) Sanjay Raut also targeted the Centre. “Vehicles would not have be-en attacked without support of Delhi. In 3 months, Maharashtra had been made a doormat of the Centre. ” He said Belgaum be made a Union territory. BJP state chief C Bawankule said, “Raut has been released after 3 months in jail. He has picked up language from other prisoners. ”
MUMBAI: Chief minister Eknath Shinde on Tuesday requested the Maharashtra Public Service Commission (MPSC) to postpone its decision to conduct the state service main examination in descriptive pattern instead of objective pattern to 2025.The MPSC had earlier decided to conduct the main examination with a UPSC-like descriptive pattern from 2023. Over the last few weeks, MPSC aspirants, supported by youth organisations of various parties, have held protests in Pune, Aurangabad, Nashik, and Nagpur.In a letter to the MPSC, Shinde pointed out that the state services main examination is conducted based on objective questions, and the commission has decided to conduct it in the old method i.e. descriptive method. "If this decision is implemented immediately from 2023, there is a possibility of injustice to the students who are preparing for this examination and therefore the students have strongly demanded that the decision of the examination in the descriptive format be postponed till the main examination of 2025," Shinde said in his letter.The chief minister has also tweeted about his appeal to the MPSC.Officials said in the letter, the CM has also expressed belief that the MPSC will give relief to lakhs of youth in the state by taking an urgent decision on the matter."Shinde said the MPSC is working very efficiently and in the last seven-eight months, it has worked rapidly to reduce the backlog of jobs. The preparation for filling 75,000 vacancies in government jobs has been completed and the same has been planned," an official said, requesting anonymity.
Eknath Shinde said several projects are pending with the central government. (File)Mumbai: The Maharashtra government has reversed the previous (MVA) government's decision not to give 50 per cent contribution to railway projects in the state and also asked MPs to pursue various pending projects with the Centre.Speaking with Lok Sabha MPs from Maharashtra here on Monday, Chief Minister Eknath Shinde said several projects which are beneficial to the common man are pending with the central government."We need to expedite them and pursue them," he said.Some MPs from the Opposition were absent at the interaction.Mr Shinde also said the feedback received by MPs will be taken into consideration and another round of meetings will be held after two months to take stock of the situation.Maharashtra sends 48 members to the Lok Sabha."The utilisation certificates of allocated money are crucial for releasing the next round of funds. Secretaries of various departments need to focus on their timely submission as well,” the Chief Minister said.Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said the previous dispensation's decision not to give 50 per cent contribution to railway projects in the state is now reversed.PromotedListen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com"The state government will bear 50 per cent cost of the railway projects in the state so that they will be completed fast,” he added.(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)Featured Video Of The Day"I'll Just Kiss Deepika's Hand And That Will Be The Answer," Says SRK
MUMBAI: Polling for five MLC seats for the teachers (Nagpur, Aurangabad and Konkan) and graduates (Nashik and Amravati) constituencies, marked by a controversy over the suspension of a father-son duo from the Congress for anti-party activities and utter confusion over selection of official nominees by political parties, took place on Monday.Though there are several candidates in the fray, it appears that there will be a straight contest between the Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) and the BJP candidates. Counting will be held on February 2.The polling percentage in Nashik was 49.3; in Amravati it was 49.7, in Aurangabad 86, in Nagpur 86.2 and in Konkan it was 91 (figures rounded off).Such elections are barely controversial. But high drama was witnessed over the Nashik division graduates seat after Congress nominee Sudhir Tambe failed to submit his nomination form before the deadline and his son Satyajeet filed his instead as an independent canddiate.Sudhir Tambe is the brother-in-law of Congress legislature party leader and former revenue minister Balasaheb Thorat. The Congress high command had approved Sudhir Tambe's nomination, while he was keen on his son Satyajeet, a former state youth Congress president, getting nominated.According to former chief minister Ashok Chavan, the AICC had given Sudhir Tambe a blank authorization form so that either he or his son could file the nomination. On the last day of filing nominations, both the father and son reached the election office, but Satyajeet Tambe filed papers. MPCC president Nana Patole reacted sharply, alleging the Tambe family had ditched the Congress. According to reports, Satyajeet Tambe was vying for the BJP's support, but it did not take any decision.On the other hand, BJP activist Shubhangi Patil too was vying for the BJP's nomination, and when she failed to get it, she approached Uddhav Thackeray for the MVA's support. After several rounds of talks, the MVA alliance supported the candidature of Patil. As a result, Nashik will witness a straight between the BJP and the Congress rebel.Satyajeet' Tambe's presence in the fray is being viewed as a major embarrassment for Thorat. Patole claimed that the MVA nominees will win all five seats. "Teachers and graduates in these constituencies are with the MVA," he said. Leader of opposition Ajit Pawar and deputy chief minister Devendra Fadnavis had toured extensively to campaign for the MVA and BJP nominees respectively for these five council constituencies.
The flight took off from Mumbai, but had to return due to "bad weather". (File)Mumbai: A flight carrying Maharashtra Chief Minister Eknath Shinde and Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis returned to Mumbai on Monday after it encountered bad weather, an official from the Chief Minister's office said.Eknath Shinde and Devendra Fadnavis were headed to Jamner in Jalgaon district to attend a programme.PromotedListen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.comThe flight took off from Mumbai, but had to return due to "bad weather," the official said.(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)Featured Video Of The DayOn Camera, Huge Clash At Ajmer Shrine Between Pilgrims, Officials
The minister's comment had stirred up a controversy, resulting in an ink attack on him. (File)Pune: Bharatiya Janata Party leader Chitra Wagh has compared Maharashtra cabinet minister and her senior party colleague Chandrakant Patil with social reformer Mahatma Jyotiba Phule.Wagh, who heads the state BJP women's wing, made the comments on Sunday at a programme organised here by local party leader Hemant Rasne which was also attended by Patil."We can see Savitribai (wife of Phule and pioneer of women's education in Maharashtra in the 19th century) in households, but a search is on for a Jyotiba (Phule) like Chandrakant Patil and BJP leader Hemant Rasne," she said.Notably, state Higher and Technical Education Minister Patil, who is an MLA from Pune, had kicked up a row by commenting that B R Ambedkar and Jyotiba Phule did not seek government grants for running educational institutions, but they “begged” people to gather funds for starting schools and colleges.The use of the word “begged” had stirred up a controversy, resulting in an ink attack on Patil.Meanwhile, Wagh, who had filed a complaint against social media influencer Uorfi Javed for dressing "improperly" in public, said the latter should be praised as she has started wearing full clothes.PromotedListen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com"I never had any problem with that woman or with any religion. I had a problem with abnormality but now I think we should praise her because she is seen in full clothes now. I have received multiple photographs of her and I can see she's wearing good clothes," Wagh said responding to a query from reporters.(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)Featured Video Of The DayShah Rukh Khan's Signature Pose And A Pathaan-Special Dance