Karnataka rules out border talks with Maharashtra govt

Times of India | 1 week ago | 25-11-2022 | 05:32 am

Karnataka rules out border talks with Maharashtra govt

BENGALURU: Karnataka CM Basavaraj Bommai on Thursday turned down the Maharashtra government’s proposal to resolve the border dispute between the two states through talks and said, “We will fight the dispute in the Supreme Court. ” Speaking to reporters here, Bommai said he learned through media reports that Maharashtra CM Ekanath Shinde has proposed to resolve the border dispute through talks, but the Karnataka government has already resolved to fight the case and made all preparations to present its case in the SC. It is the Maharashtra government that has gone to court. So we have prepared for a legal battle. Moreover, we had already taken a decision at the allparty and Karnataka Border Area Development Authority meetings. There is no change in our stand,” Bommai said. But a final decision will be taken after consulting opposition leaders at an allparty meeting next week where all issues, including the offer of talks, will be discussed, said the CMHe said the border issue has been resolved since the states were formed but Maharashtra’s politicians are raking it up for mileage. Earlier in the day, Bommai hit back at Maharashtra deputy CM Devendra Fadnavis terming his statement on the issue “provocative”. “His (Fadnavis’) dream will never co me true. Our government is committed to protecting our state’s land, water and borders,” Bommai said, retorting to Fadnavis’ statement that no village in Maharashtra will go to K arnataka as they will fight in the Supreme Court to get Marathi-speaking villages, including Belagavi, Karwar and Nipani. Bommai said that there is no question of giving up any area to Maharashtra. “In fact, our demand is that Kannada-speaking areas of Maharashtra like Solapur and Akkalkot should join Karnataka.”

Google Follow Image