Maharashtra: Passengers walk 4km in forest area after train breaks down

Times of India | 5 days ago | 23-11-2022 | 07:59 am

Maharashtra: Passengers walk 4km in forest area after train breaks down

CHANDRAPUR: Hours-long breakdown in the Wadsa-Chanda Fort MEMU train in the forest on the outskirts of the city forced hundreds of passengers to walk with their luggage and kids for four kilometres along the track to reach Chanda Fort railway station on Tuesday. A glitch in the overhead equipment stalled the train in the forest for nearly two hours, sources said. The Chandrapur-bound Wadsa-Chanda Fort MEMU suddenly stopped when it was four kilometres away from Chanda Fort station. Initially, passengers thought the delay in the signal had stalled the train. After waiting for a long time, the passengers, many of them students, office workers, businessmen, families etc coming to Chandrapur grew anxious and approached the train pilot to enquire about the delay. As the driver told them that the train would start only after repair team arrives, the stranded passengers lost patience and started walking on the track towards the station. Soon, a video showing hundreds of passengers with their kids and luggage walking along the railway track with a train stranded in the background went viral on social media. South East Central Railway officials said a team from Nagbhid station was rushed to the spot for repairs. By the time the train reached Chanda Fort station, nearly entire load of passengers had alighted and walked up to the station on their own. Two other trains running on this track were delayed by a couple of hours due to the incident.

Google Follow Image

Similar News

Thane: Man, 70, on train to Kerala, gets off at Kalyan, found in Mulund
Times of India | 4 hours ago | 28-11-2022 | 06:04 am
Times of India
4 hours ago | 28-11-2022 | 06:04 am

KALYAN: A 70-year-old man from Kerala who disembarked from a long-distance train at Kalyan and got separated from his family was reunited , thanks to the alacrity shown by the railway police. The elderly man was part of a group of more than 100 pilgrims who had been on a fortnight's pilgrimage to Kashi, Ayodhya and other shrines in the north. On their way back home to Kerala the man, Krishnan Namboothiri, alighted at Kalyan around 2am on Saturday although the group was supposed to travel up to the destination point at the Kurla terminus before boarding a connecting train to Kerala. His relatives later said they were not aware that he had got off the train. It was only after the train had reached Kurla terminus that Namboothiri's wife and other family members realised that he was missing. A few of the relatives went back to Kalyan and sought help from the station master. Namboothiri's elderly wife and most of the others in the group were told to proceed on their journey to Kerala. A check of footage from CCTV cameras at Kalyan station showed Namboothiri getting off the outstation train. The relatives were told to contact the railway police at Kalyan. Namboothiri's photos were circulated on on various WhatsApp groups of the railway police, said senior inspector Mukesh Dhage. Within a few hours, the railway police at Mulund station got back to say that a person meeting the description of the missing senior citizen had been spotted outside a temple near Mulund railway station on Saturday evening. Namboothiri was reunited with his relatives who took him along and the elderly man is slated to leave for Kerala with the relatives on Monday. Namboothiri, who has never been to Mumbai, has said that he is not aware how he had reached Mulund from Kalyan station, where he got down from the express train. Santosh M, a relative of Namboothiri who lives in Kalyan, said, "He has told us he does not know why he got down from the train at Kalyan and is not even sure how he travelled up to Mulund... But we are thankful to the Kalyan railway police officer Mukesh Dhage who swung into action and helped trace him. We were quite worried for him."

Thane: Man, 70, on train to Kerala, gets off at Kalyan, found in Mulund
Maharashtra: 13 passengers injured as part of foot overbridge collapses at Ballarshah railway station
Times of India | 13 hours ago | 27-11-2022 | 09:34 pm
Times of India
13 hours ago | 27-11-2022 | 09:34 pm

NAGPUR: At least 13 passengers were injured, a couple of them seriously, after the slab of a foot overbridge (FOB) collapsed on Sunday evening at Ballarshah railway station under Nagpur division of the Central Railway in Maharashtra. This is the only FOB that connects platform number 1 to 5. Around 5pm, many passengers were crossing the FOB to boad a train. Sources said the 30-foot-high FOB was constructed over 15 years ago. Those who have been injured include Sachi Nilesh Patil, Prem Titre, Chaitnya Manoj Bhagat, Nidhi Manoj Bhagat, Nayan Babarao Bhivanwar, Radheshyam Singh, Anurag Khartad, Riya Khartad, Sweety Khartad, Vicky Jayant Bhimalwar, Pooja Sontakke, and Om Sontakke. Though more details of the tragedy are awaited, Central Railway spokesperson and chief public relations officer (CPRO) Shivaji Sutar confirmed part of the pre-cast slab of the FOB connecting platforms 1 and 2 at Ballarshah station came down around 5.10pm. “It is not the FOB that has fallen down, it is a part of the pre-cast slab (a small part of the walkway). As per our information, four persons have been injured in the incident and all have been shifted to civil hospital after giving first aid. No deaths have been reported,” Sutar said. Sutar added an ex gratia of Rs 1 lakh had been announced for seriously injured and Rs 50,000 for those suffered minor injuries. Watch Nagpur: Slabs fall off of a foot overbridge at Balharshah railway junction, several injured

Maharashtra: 13 passengers injured as part of foot overbridge collapses at Ballarshah railway station
Details of murder and evidence: What was Aaftab Poonawala asked during polygraph test?
The Indian Express | 3 days ago | 25-11-2022 | 05:45 am
The Indian Express
3 days ago | 25-11-2022 | 05:45 am

During his 6-7-hour polygraph test on Thursday, Aaftab Poonawala, who is accused of murdering his live-in partner Shraddha Walkar, was asked if and how he committed the crime, where he hid the evidence and questions about his childhood and family, among other things.Earlier in the day, police sources said they had recovered almost 10-12 “sharp objects”, including knives, blades, saws and other tools, from the couple’s Chhattarpur Pahadi flat and the Mehrauli forest over the past week. Continuing their search for evidence in other states, a Delhi police team in Mumbai’s Vasai trawled through a creek in Bhayandar to search for Walkar’s phone, which they suspect was destroyed by Poonawala.Poonawala was taken to the Forensic Science Lab (FSL) in Delhi’s Rohini for the first session of the polygraph test around noon and left with police around 8 pm. Sagarpreet Hooda, Special CP (Law and Order), confirmed that the test had begun.An FSL official said: “The aim was to ascertain the locations of the murder weapon, body pieces and Walkar’s phone. The questions were mainly about the couple’s history, Poonawala’s early life, childhood, family, relationships, if/how he killed Walkar and hid the evidence, etc. He was cooperative and gave all the answers. The results will be analysed and compiled. We’ll share the observations and report with police.”Forensic experts said the test would take a few hours to complete. “We check the health of the person before starting the test. After that, the test is conducted, but we take breaks so the person does not feel anxious or pressured,” said an officer.Police had earlier taken Poonawala for pre-analysis questioning but had to delay the exercise after he complained of fever.Earlier this week, police had sought permission from a Delhi court to extend Poonawala’s custody and conduct polygraph and narco-analysis tests on him. The narco test will most likely be conducted next week, said police.On the sharp objects recovered, a police officer said: “We are checking them for blood traces. Poonawala had said he used two-three mini-saws to chop Walkar’s body into 30-35 pieces in the bathroom. We haven’t been able to find the exact weapon yet… We are verifying his claims.”A team of Delhi Police also went to Thane in Maharashtra to conduct searches. “As he came to Mumbai after Walkar’s death, he may have dumped her belongings and other evidence in Vasai or Thane,” said an officer. Delhi Police said they also recorded Poonawala’s father’s statement. As per Walkar’s family and friends, Poonawala’s family allegedly knew about the violent fights between the couple, said police. “His father said he doesn’t know anything about the murder. He said Poonawala would rarely talk to them. We are trying to get details on their relationship and Poonawala’s behaviour,” added the officer.On the search for Walkar’s phone in Mumbai, a police source said: “Poonawala claimed he disposed of her SIM card in Delhi and threw her phone in the creek at Bhayandar. We have learnt he had come back from Delhi to help his parents shift to a new place from Vasai to Mira Road. While crossing the creek in the train, he is believed to have thrown the phone into it.”

Details of murder and evidence: What was Aaftab Poonawala asked during polygraph test?