Ndtv | 2 days ago | 25-11-2022 | 02:59 pm
The residents of Sultanpur decided to rename their village Rahul Nagar.Mumbai: Sultanpur, a village in Maharashtra with a population of around 1,000 and 600 houses, will now be known as 'Rahul Nagar' as the local residents have changed its name in memory of its native, who laid down his life while fighting terrorists during the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks in 2008.Rahul Shinde, a constable of the State Reserve Police Force (SRPF) was killed during the terror attacks 14 years ago. Mr Shinde, who hailed from Sultanpur in Madha tehsil of Solapur district, was amongst the first police personnel to enter the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in south Mumbai after reports of firing by terrorists. Mr Shinde was hit with a bullet in his stomach by terrorists, in which he died. While the government honoured him by conferring the President's Police Medal on him posthumously for his supreme sacrifice, the residents of Sultanpur decided to rename their village after him as he was born and brought up there. However, the official renaming ceremony is yet to take place."All the government formalities for renaming the village are done. We are now waiting for the official renaming ceremony," Subhash Vishnu Shinde, father of late Rahul Shinde, told PTI on the eve of the 14 anniversary of the 26/11 attacks."We are waiting for the confirmation of dates from the dignitaries and guests and it will soon be finalised," he said, adding Joint Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) Vishwas Nangre Patil, who was then Deputy Commissioner of Police (zone-I) in Mumbai, helped him in the process."I had been following up with the government on this for the last 10 years. Finally it is done. I am satisfied now and don't want anything more. I feel honoured that the village now bears the name of my son," he said.Speaking about his martyred son, Mr Shinde said he showed courage while fighting against terrorists and made the supreme sacrifice for the country."I am proud of my son," he said.Subhash Shinde, has two more children - a son and a daughter. He now lives with his younger son, who got married a few years ago."Rahul's mother is still under trauma. She has not been able to come to terms with the situation yet...She is still unable to digest the fact that Rahul is no more," he said."After Rahul's demise, the government provided financial assistance to us as per rules. We also got a flat in Mumbai and a gas agency at the taluka place, which helps the family earn a living," he said.The Shinde family is also involved in farming."This year, we harvested sugarcane on our farm," he said.Mr Shinde also set up a memorial of Rahul in the village in 2010.The aid of Rs 10 lakh, which the family received from the Mumbai civic body, was used in installing the memorial, he said."The memorial is meant to inspire the younger generation. The youth should feel that when it is required, one should be ready to make the supreme sacrifice for the country", he said."I did all this by keeping my personal sorrow aside to keep his memories alive," Mr Shinde said, adding that he was just waiting for the official renaming ceremony.On November 26, 2008, 10 Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorists from Pakistan arrived by sea route and opened fire, killing 166 people, including 18 security personnel, and injuring several others during the 60-hour siege in Mumbai.The Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus, the Oberoi Trident, the Taj Mahal Hotel, Leopold Cafe, Cama Hospital and the Nariman House Jewish community centre, now renamed Nariman Light House, were some of the places targeted by terrorists.PromotedListen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.comNine terrorists were later killed by the security forces, including the NSG, the country's elite commando force. Ajmal Kasab was the only terrorist who was captured alive. He was hanged four years later on November 21, 2012. (Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)Featured Video Of The DayWatch Arvind Kejriwal's Townhall: "Give Me CBI For One Day..."
KALYAN: An unidentified youth on Saturday tried to steal money from an ATM kiosk of Canara Bank in Ambernath taluka of Thane District. An official from Hill Line police station said the accused attempted to break open the cash-dispensing machine but failed to do so after which he left the kiosk.The accused (aged 25 to 30 years) posing as a customer, stepped inside the ATM kiosk situated near Khoni village on Taloja MIDC road early in the morning, and attempted to steal the money by trying to break the machine. However, when he failed to do so he left the spot, said the police. Cops found that he managed to partly damage the machine safe door. The incident was captured in CCTV with shows him hiding his face with a cap.
NAVI MUMBAI: MSEDCL officials have registered four FIRs against five power consumers in Kharghar for indulging in power theft by fiddling with their electricity meter to record low readings resulting in generating less electricity bill. The theft has caused collective revenue loss of around Rs 2 lakh to MSEDCL. Acting on a complaint by Bhagyashree Kadam, an assistant engineer of MSEDCL, Kharghar branch, one power consumer, a couple identified as Brijesh Kumar Pandey and his wife Rajeshwari, residents of sector 20, Kharghar, have been booked for making illegal changes in their electricity meter's circuit to reduce the meter reading speed by 80% and causing revenue loss of Rs 1.44 lakh to MSEDCL. They had illegally consumed 4,440 units of electricity for three months, whose estimated bill was Rs 1,44,490.
NAVI MUMBAI: Locals and activists alleged that Matheran hill station municipality is deliberately delaying e-rickshaw trial due to pressure from horse riders. The Supreme Court (SC) had on May 12 ordered implementation of the pilot project by introducing e-rickshaws for three months to find out its feasibility. SC had ordered to hear the petition after four months. However, the civic body sought more time from the SC. "There is deliberate delay in purchasing and bringing e-rickshaws for trial...," said SC petitioner Sunil Shinde for Shramik Rickshaw Chalak-Malak Seva Sanstha- Matheran. Matheran resident Janardan Parte said, "Horse riders damage clay paver block roads and exert pressure..." Chief officer of Matheran municipal council, Surekha Bhanage, said that the civic body is fulfilling all legal and administrative matters according to the Supreme Court's decision from time to time. "E-tendering process for the purchase of e-rickshaw has also been completed and the successful bidder has been agreed to supply the e-rickshaw."
THANE: Following a 48-hour search operation, the crime branch unit-3 of Mira-Bhayander Vasai-Virar (MBVV) police nabbed the undertrial accused of murdering a banker during a robbery bid who had escaped from Vasai court premises along with his bike-borne aide on Friday, officials informed on Sunday. In July 2021, Anil Dubey (36), a former private bank manager, was arrested for allegedly killing his former colleague and injuring another while trying to flee with gold ornaments worth nearly Rs 3.4 crore from the locker at the bank's Virar branch. On Friday afternoon, when Dubey was brought from Thane Central jail to Vasai court, he allegedly requested the escorting policemen to allow him to visit the washroom and managed to give them the slip and escape on a motorcycle driven by his aide Chand Badshah Aziz Khan (42), a historysheeter from Nalasopara. "We have arrested Dubey and Khan from Nalasopara after our teams narrowed down on them following technical leads. We also recovered the bike," confirmed Shrikant Pathak, additional police commissioner, MBVV police. Avinash Ambure, deputy police commissioner, crime, MBVV police, said, "Our teams were tipped off that the absconding undertrial could be holed up in Nalasopara following which crime branch unit-3 formed teams and started search operations." Police are likely to have zeroed in on the accused based on technical surveillance, including CCTV footage, of the area. Police in the Vasai-Virar area were on alert and also undertook late-night patrolling since Friday, officials said. While sources said Dubey got in touch with Khan when the latter was lodged at Thane jail a few months back, prison officials said they were unaware if Khan was lodged there and may have interacted with Dubey to hatch the escape plan.
MUMBAI: A 54-year-old cook from Bandra became the victim of sextortion recently and lost Rs 1.5 lakh. The complainant is a Nepali national and lives at a restaurant where he has worked for three decades. On November 24, he received a WhatsApp video call from an unknown woman. As she started stripping on the call he disconnected it. He got a video of him watching her, and later a call from an unknown woman threatening to circulate it. He paid Rs 1.52 lakh. But on November 25, he again got a call asking for more money.