Maharashtra village school becomes a finalist at World’s Best School Prizes

The Indian Express | 2 weeks ago | 22-09-2022 | 07:45 pm

Maharashtra village school becomes a finalist at World’s Best School Prizes

A village school in Maharashtra on Thursday was unveiled as one of the three finalists for the inaugural USD 250,000 World’s Best School Prizes, launched in the UK to celebrate schools worldwide for their contribution to society’s progress. The school has created a cultural dynamic centred on close ties within the community.PCMC English Medium School, Bopkhel, in Pune, will now progress to the public advisory vote round of the prize in the Community Collaboration category, with the winner to be awarded during World Education Week next month.The school, in a remote village in Pune district, is run as a public private partnership between NGO Akanksha Foundation and local government, with most of its students from low-income families.“PCMC English Medium School, Bopkhel also works with local doctors, grocers and religious leaders to help create programmes that help parents in financial need,” said T4 Education – the UK-headquartered digital media platform which founded the prize earlier this year.“The school launched a programme of free medical check-ups in the community and ‘Master Chef’ style classes were launched that taught families about how to have a healthy and balanced diet. Students are also part of a daily fruit eating initiative that keeps them on track for healthy eating and every week they have a set meal plan. The impact has trickled into their home lives as parents have started to follow the same nutrition plan,” it added.The prizes, founded in collaboration with Accenture, American Express, Yayasan Hasanah, Templeton World Charity Foundation, the Lemann Foundation, D2L, Mellby Gård, and Universidad Camilo José Cela, are aimed at sharing the best practices of schools that are transforming the lives of their students and making a real difference to their communities.The five World’s Best School Prizes are designed across the categories of Community Collaboration, Environmental Action, Innovation, Overcoming Adversity, and Supporting Healthy Lives and the finalists have been whittled down from thousands of entries by a worldwide Judging Academy of distinguished leaders.“Teachers everywhere will be inspired by the example of this outstanding Indian school,” said Vikas Pota, Founder of T4 Education and the World’s Best School Prizes.“The World’s Best School Prizes surface the expertise of inspirational schools from every corner of the globe. It’s time for governments everywhere to listen to their voices,” he said.If PCMC English Medium School, Bopkhel were to win the World’s Best School Prize for Community Collaboration, it has plans to donate some of the prize money to the Akanksha Foundation due to their contribution towards the management of the school. The funds would also be distributed towards other schools that work with the foundation.The prize money of USD 250,000 will be shared equally among the winners of the five prizes, with each receiving an award of USD 50,000.All 50 shortlisted schools across the five prizes will share their best practices during events at World Education Week in October and through School Transformation Toolkits.

Google Follow Image


Similar News

Maharashtra: Fresh push from Devendra Fadnavis for redevelopment projects
Times of India | 8 hours ago | 07-10-2022 | 06:22 am
Times of India
8 hours ago | 07-10-2022 | 06:22 am

PUNE: Deputy CM Devendra Fadnavis on Thursday said the government was planning to start a single window system for the clearances of housing projects going in for redevelopment and implement the self-redevelopment order issued in September 2019 when he was the CM. Of the around 1.20 lakh registered cooperative societies and over 80,000 apartments, nearly 60,000 units are over 30-year-old and would want to go for redevelopment. The Maharashtra State Housing Federation had sought a simplified process for their redevelopment. A meeting is likely to be held between members of the housing federation and CM Eknath Shinde and his deputy, Fadnavis, next week. "There is a plan to make the redevelopment process for private housing societies with a single window system for clearances as demanded by the housing societies and federation," Fadnavis said in his reply to a text message from TOI. The government resolution issued in September 2019 on the self-redevelopment of housing societies remained on paper, members of the federation said. On the self-redevelopment of the societies, Fadnavis said the earlier order would be implemented in letter and spirit. Suhas Patwardhan, vice-president of Maharashtra State Cooperative Housing Federation, said they had been seeking an easier process for redevelopment. "A notification was issued, but it was not implemented. The issue related to funding also needs to be addressed," he said.

Maharashtra: Fresh push from Devendra Fadnavis for redevelopment projects
‘Maharashtra men doubly prone to heart illness than women’
Times of India | 8 hours ago | 07-10-2022 | 05:28 am
Times of India
8 hours ago | 07-10-2022 | 05:28 am

PUNE: The number of men in the state being diagnosed with critical heart ailments is more than twice that of women, revealed data collated since the government launched STEMI Maharashtra under its Non-Communicable Disease Control Programme in February 2021. Of the 2,225 people diagnosed with critical heart ailments between February 1, 2021, and October 2, 2022, a large majority, or 1,602 (72%), were men and 623 were women aged above 30. STEMI (ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction Initiative) is a type of a serious heart attack that has a greater risk of serious complications and death compared to other cardiac ailments. It leads to immediate stoppage of blood supply to the heart, mainly the organ's lower chambers, as the arteries are blocked due to cholesterol. The statewide AI-powered advanced diagnosis and care coordination programme recognised by the National Health Mission (NHM) was launched to prevent premature deaths caused by heart attacks and that could be prevented through timely treatment. Since the launch of the scheme in 12 districts, 2.18 lakh ECGs - 98,000 on women and 1.2 lakh on men - have been conducted free of cost to help diagnose any underlying cardiac ailments. In case of heart attack-like symptoms, patients can also seek treatment, including life saving surgeries, in government hospitals or Mahatma Jyotirao Pule Jan Arogya Yojana -empanelled hospital. Most of the patients diagnosed with STEMI were aged between 60 and 69 years. Dr Padmaja Jogewar, joint director (non-communicable disease cell), commissionerate of health Services, Maharashtra, said, "Among cardiac ailments, STEMI is one of the leading causes of deaths. But if diagnosed and treated on time, most of these deaths can be prevented. The younger population, mostly men, is now reporting cardiac problems. There can be multiple factors, such as lifestyle choices, increased stress and an unbalanced lifestyle." She said, "Under STEMI, we aim to provide free ECGs for early detection of any underlying causes and also create awareness among the people about what could be the first signs and symptoms of a progressing heart attack. The scheme was launched in 12 districts. By the end of this year, we will launch it in the rest of the districts." A total of 183 health hubs, which include rural, district and tertiary hospitals in various major cities, are interconnected to provide online consultation in case of a critical ECG for further treatment and diagnosis. A senior health official said a patient's history was tracked and data saved until his or her discharge from hospital after complete treatment. Dr Hemant Kokane, associate professor of the cardiology department, Sassoon General Hospital, Pune, where the programme is on, said, "We are also reporting STEMI cases among patients as young as in their 30s, who are not smokers or do not chew tobacco. The contributing factors we observe among them are poor diet, lack of sleep, increased stress and exposure to screens. Up to the age of 50, women have natural protection due to hormones. But after the age of 50, both men and women equally report STEMI cases."

‘Maharashtra men doubly prone to heart illness than women’
HSC and SSC exams 2023: Candidates asked to pay more to submit forms for preferred institutions
The Indian Express | 10 hours ago | 07-10-2022 | 03:45 am
The Indian Express
10 hours ago | 07-10-2022 | 03:45 am

External and private student candidates registering for the HSC and SSC examinations in February-March 2023, which are to be conducted by the Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education (MSBSHSE), faced a hurdle while filling up their examination application forms after several of them were asked to pay additional fees by the contact centres at their preferred schools or junior colleges. External and private students can register for the examinations through Form no 17, which is also useful for ones who have left school because of social, economic, family or personal problems.“I had filled out the form online and also paid the required examination fees by visiting a cyber cafe. When I went to a junior college to submit my forms for the process of verification, I was asked to pay Rs 6,000 straight up. I could not pay the fee and ended up going to another junior college in Nana Peth. There too, they asked for Rs 500 but at least I got to submit my examination form,” said a 17-year-old student, requesting anonymity.Pratiksha Hawale, a mobiliser at Manodaya Centre, Shivajinagar, said many students were not allowed to submit their forms at schools or junior colleges. “There are many students who moved away from the education system due to social and economic problems. One such student, a 17-year-old who will be appearing for her 10th standard examination, was not allowed to submit her form, with the college citing unavailability of seats. The student was asked to try a college centre in Alandi. Her parents asked her to leave her studies. It is sad that while we try to bring such students back into the education system, such issues make access even more difficult.”Mandar Shinde, a child rights activist and convenor at Action for the Rights of the Child (ARC), said they approached the state board and the divisional board officer after receiving such complaints from students. “We had received several such complaints from various organisations and children that we work with. We tried to resolve the issue at the divisional board but they could not initiate action as the schools and junior colleges come under the education department… The authorities have assured us that they will take action against schools brought to their notice.”Sharad Gosavi, chairman of the MSBSHSE, said that an official letter has been issued to all divisional centres to ensure that no student is asked to pay an additional fee. “A complete inspection report will be sought with respect to this matter. Defaulting schools or junior colleges will have to face action.” “I had filled out the form online and also paid the required examination fees by visiting a cyber cafe. When I went to a junior college to submit my forms for the process of verification, I was asked to pay Rs 6,000 straight up. I could not pay the fee and ended up going to another junior college in Nana Peth. There too, they asked for Rs 500 but at least I got to submit my examination form,” said a 17-year-old student, requesting anonymity.Pratiksha Hawale, a mobiliser at Manodaya Centre, Shivajinagar, said many students were not allowed to submit their forms at schools or junior colleges. “There are many students who moved away from the education system due to social and economic problems. One such student, a 17-year-old who will be appearing for her 10th standard examination, was not allowed to submit her form, with the college citing unavailability of seats. The student was asked to try a college centre in Alandi. Her parents asked her to leave her studies. It is sad that while we try to bring such students back into the education system, such issues make access even more difficult.”Mandar Shinde, a child rights activist and convenor at Action for the Rights of the Child (ARC), said they approached the state board and the divisional board officer after receiving such complaints from students. “We had received several such complaints from various organisations and children that we work with. We tried to resolve the issue at the divisional board but they could not initiate action as the schools and junior colleges come under the education department… The authorities have assured us that they will take action against schools brought to their notice.”Sharad Gosavi, chairman of the MSBSHSE, said that an official letter has been issued to all divisional centres to ensure that no student is asked to pay an additional fee. “A complete inspection report will be sought with respect to this matter. Defaulting schools or junior colleges will have to face action.” Pratiksha Hawale, a mobiliser at Manodaya Centre, Shivajinagar, said many students were not allowed to submit their forms at schools or junior colleges. “There are many students who moved away from the education system due to social and economic problems. One such student, a 17-year-old who will be appearing for her 10th standard examination, was not allowed to submit her form, with the college citing unavailability of seats. The student was asked to try a college centre in Alandi. Her parents asked her to leave her studies. It is sad that while we try to bring such students back into the education system, such issues make access even more difficult.”Mandar Shinde, a child rights activist and convenor at Action for the Rights of the Child (ARC), said they approached the state board and the divisional board officer after receiving such complaints from students. “We had received several such complaints from various organisations and children that we work with. We tried to resolve the issue at the divisional board but they could not initiate action as the schools and junior colleges come under the education department… The authorities have assured us that they will take action against schools brought to their notice.”Sharad Gosavi, chairman of the MSBSHSE, said that an official letter has been issued to all divisional centres to ensure that no student is asked to pay an additional fee. “A complete inspection report will be sought with respect to this matter. Defaulting schools or junior colleges will have to face action.” Mandar Shinde, a child rights activist and convenor at Action for the Rights of the Child (ARC), said they approached the state board and the divisional board officer after receiving such complaints from students. “We had received several such complaints from various organisations and children that we work with. We tried to resolve the issue at the divisional board but they could not initiate action as the schools and junior colleges come under the education department… The authorities have assured us that they will take action against schools brought to their notice.”Sharad Gosavi, chairman of the MSBSHSE, said that an official letter has been issued to all divisional centres to ensure that no student is asked to pay an additional fee. “A complete inspection report will be sought with respect to this matter. Defaulting schools or junior colleges will have to face action.” Sharad Gosavi, chairman of the MSBSHSE, said that an official letter has been issued to all divisional centres to ensure that no student is asked to pay an additional fee. “A complete inspection report will be sought with respect to this matter. Defaulting schools or junior colleges will have to face action.”

HSC and SSC exams 2023: Candidates asked to pay more to submit forms for preferred institutions