Mumbai: Bank manager falls prey to power bill con, loses Rs 1.6 lakh

Times of India | 5 days ago | 22-06-2022 | 08:30 am

Mumbai: Bank manager falls prey to power bill con, loses Rs 1.6 lakh

MUMBAI: A manager with the Saki Naka branch of a private bank is the latest to fall prey to cyber fraudsters who in the garb of pending power bill duped him of nearly Rs 1.6 lakh. Saki Naka police, who registered the case on Monday, said the 47-year-old bank manager, who resides in Kalyan, first clicked on the genuine link and paid Rs 1,860 for the current month and then clicked on the fraudulent link to update the payment and got duped by cyber fraudsters. Police said the fraudster managed to convince the bank manager that the system did not get an update regarding the payment done and made him click on the link to update the payment. In his complaint, the complainant said on June 18, his wife received a text message on her phone that his electricity connection would be disconnected as his previous month’s bill was not updated and she informed him. The bank manager said, “I made the online payment from my credit card issued by my bank. After making the payment for Rs 1,860, I called on the number received in the message. The caller informed me that he is from Mahavitaran and my payment has not yet been received. He sent me a link and told me to click on it and update the payment. But as soon as I clicked on the link and entered the details, multiple transactions totalling Rs 1.55 lakh were carried out from my card.” An officer from Saki Naka police station said that the cyber team has sought details from the bank to know about the account where the money got credited. “The team is also tracking the call record to the number that the manager communicated after making online payment through the genuine website,” he added. In all, 33 such cases were registered at 25 of 94 police stations in Mumbai between June 7 to 19, and fraudsters conned people to the tune of Rs 47 lakh. The Maharashtra cyber cell has been sending text alerts to citizens warning about the electricity bill frauds and asking them not to click on any links without verification.

Google Follow Image


Similar News

Mill under ED lens records 2nd highest cane-crushing in state
The Indian Express | 37 minutes ago | 28-06-2022 | 05:45 am
The Indian Express
37 minutes ago | 28-06-2022 | 05:45 am

AT THE start of the 2021-22 sugarcane crushing season, Jarandeshwar Sugar Mills Limited, had faced action from the Enforcement Directorate (ED) which had provincially attached its property. The action by the central agency was allegedly due to financial irregularities in the manner the erstwhile cooperative mill was sold to a private party by the Maharashtra State Cooperative Bank. But at the end of the season, this mill, located in the Karad taluka of Satara district, clocked the second highest cane crushing with 19.98 lakh tonnes of cane crushed.Back in July last year, the central agency had taken action against the mill implicating the family of deputy chief minister Ajit Pawar for his alleged role in the undervalued sale of the mill. Pawar had denied the allegations and pointed out how all rules were followed during the auction of the mill. Founded in 2003 by former minister Shalini Patil, the cooperative mill had come into trouble soon afterwards as bank and farmer dues started rising. The mill was put up for auction by the Maharashtra State Cooperative Bank and was subsequently purchased by a private party.Following the action by ED, the Income Tax department had also began an inquiry. Such action by the central agencies had seen farmers being worried about the fate of their cane. Also, given the fact that three cooperative mills had failed to raise enough capital to start their season.As the season progressed, sugar commissioner’s office had issued crushing license to Jarandeshwar mill after it had fulfilled all the conditions laid by it. During the season of 2020-21, Jarandeshwar had reported crushing of 14.38 lakh tonnes of cane and paid farmers Rs 420.67 crores as the Fair and Remunerative Price (FRP) to its growers. At the end of 2021-22 cane crushing season, Jarandeshwar has reported crushing of 19.98 lakh tonnes of cane. This was the second highest cane crushed by a single mill this season coming only after the 24.78 lakh tonnes of cane crushed by the Vitthalrao Shinde Cooperative Sugar Mill in taluka Madha of Solapur. In terms of sugar produced, Jarandeshwar had produced 2.25 lakh tonnes of the sweetener which was the third highest in the state. The mill till date has paid Rs 531.79 crore to its growers as against the Rs 525.05 crore it had to pay.For growers of Satara, especially those in the talukas of Wai, Khandala, Satara, and Karad, Jarandeshwar had come to the rescue as three cooperative mills which normally procure cane in these areas had remained shut.

Mill under ED lens records 2nd highest cane-crushing in state
Gujarat 2002 cases | Moving key riot trials out to indicting state: What Supreme Court once said and did
The Indian Express | 37 minutes ago | 28-06-2022 | 05:45 am
The Indian Express
37 minutes ago | 28-06-2022 | 05:45 am

Dismissing the appeal by Zakia Jafri, wife of former Congress MP Ahsan Jafri who was killed during the 2002 Gujarat riots, against the Special Investigation Team clean chit to then Chief Minister Narendra Modi and others over allegations of conspiracy in the riots, the Supreme Court, in its judgment three days ago, referred to proceedings being pursued to “keep the pot boiling, obviously, for ulterior design” and said “all those involved in such abuse of process, need to be in the dock and proceeded with in accordance with law”.The bench of Justices A M Khanwilkar, Dinesh Maheshwari and C T Ravikumar underlined that “materials collected during the investigation do not give rise to strong or grave suspicion regarding hatching of larger criminal conspiracy at the highest level for causing mass violence across the State against the minority community and more so, indicating involvement of the named offenders and their meeting of minds at some level in that regard”.Yet it was the Supreme Court which, through hearings and orders over the years, called for “fair and impartial investigation” into the riots cases. Two cases — of the Best Bakery and Bilkis Bano — were moved out of Gujarat to Maharashtra.At one point, the top court even expunged remarks of the Gujarat High Court against activist Teesta Setalvad and others – Setalvad was arrested last Saturday by the Gujarat police, a day after Zakia Jafri’s petition was dismissed.◙ On April 12, 2004, while ordering retrial in the Vadodara Best Bakery case after 21 accused were acquitted, the bench of Justices Doraiswamy Raju and Arijit Pasayat said, “Those who are responsible for protecting life and properties and ensuring that investigation is fair and proper seem to have shown no real anxiety. Large number of people had lost their lives. Whether the accused persons were really assailants or not could have been established by a fair and impartial investigation. The modern day ‘Neros’ were looking elsewhere when Best Bakery and innocent children and helpless women were burning, and were probably deliberating how the perpetrators of the crime can be saved or protected. Law and justice become flies in the hands of these ‘wanton boys’.”On the investigation and the trial court that ordered the acquittals, the judges said, “One gets a feeling that the justice delivery system was being taken for a ride and literally allowed to be abused, misused and mutilated by subterfuge. The investigation appears to be perfunctory and anything but impartial without any definite object of finding out the truth and bringing to book those who were responsible for the crime. The public prosecutor appears to have acted more as a defence counsel than one whose duty was to present the truth before the Court. The Court in turn appeared to be a silent spectator, mute to the manipulations and preferred to be indifferent to sacrilege being committed to justice. The role of the State Government also leaves much to be desired.”Hearing another petition the same day by Teesta Setalvad and others, the two judges expunged remarks made by the Gujarat High Court against her and the others: “Observations should not be made by Courts against persons and authorities, unless they are essential or necessary for decision of the case… There is no need or justification for any unwarranted besmirching of either the parties or their causes, as a matter of routine. Courts are not expected to play to the gallery or for any applause…”◙ Earlier, on September 19, 2003, when the then Chief Secretary PK Laheri and DGP K Chakravarthi were summoned, the bench of Chief Justice of India VN Khare, Justices Brijesh Kumar and S B Sinha asked Chakravarthi what steps he took when he learnt that witnesses were turning hostile. Chakravarthi said, “I did ask the Police Commissioner why they turned hostile. Answer is they appear to have been won over. I have made enquiry from the Police Commissioner who told me that these witnesses appear to have been won over by the accused.”Asked why he had not taken steps for their re-examination, Chakravarthi said, “I came to know at a much later date.”At this, Justice Sinha asked: “Do you mean to say that you asked the Police Commissioner only after the judgment of acquittal was passed?”. Chakravarthi said, “I do not remember the exact date. I did not take any steps even after coming to know that witnesses have been won over by the accused.”Chakravarthi died in 2020.◙ On November 21, 2003, the bench of CJI V N Khare, Justices S B Sinha and A R Lakshmanan stayed trial in 10 major riot cases on petitions seeking an independent investigation into the cases besides shifting of trials outside Gujarat.◙ On August 17, 2004, the bench of Justices Ruma Pal, S B Sinha and S H Kapadia directed that a riot cell be formed under the DGP to reopen cases closed by local police stations, and file quarterly reports.Stating that it would not proceed on the basis “that the entire investigating machinery in the State has failed”, the bench said “there should be further/more extensive and in-depth investigation into cases, numbering 2000, in which ‘A’ Summary Reports have been filed resulting in closure of cases at the threshold and that the State should consider further/extended investigations through its own high ranking officers to which none of the concerned parties (including State of Gujarat) had any objection”.In its order, the bench said, “The Non-Governmental Organizations which have been participating in this entire process, will be at liberty to draw the attention of the Range Inspector General to any particular case within the District of a particular Range Inspector General and the Range Inspector General will consider the same before deciding whether further/fresh investigation or what action, if any, needs to be taken in connection with the FIRs filed. The Range Inspector General shall see whether the FIRs already filed are defective/deficient or faulty in any manner.”Newsletter | Click to get the day’s best explainers in your inbox◙ On March 26, 2008, the bench of Justices Arijit Pasayat, P Sathasivam and Aftab Alam said,  “Communal harmony is the hallmark of a democracy. No religion teaches hatred. If in the name of religion, people are killed, that is essentially a slur and blot on the society governed by rule of law… Religious fanatics really do not belong to any religion. They are no better than terrorists… These are cases where there is an element of communal disharmony, which is not to be countenanced. The State of Gujarat has stated that it has no objection if further investigation is done so that peoples’ faith on the transparency of action taken by the State is fortified”.The Court called for a report in three months on investigations into the cases of the Godhra train burning, the killings in Naroda Patiya, Naroda Gam and Gulberg Society in Ahmedabad, Sardarpura and Dipda Darwaja in Mehsana district, two cases in Ode of Anand district and the killing of British nationals in Prantij, Sabarkantha district.The Court asked the Gujarat government to issue a notification to appoint the SIT headed by RK Raghavan, retired Director of CBI.

Gujarat 2002 cases | Moving key riot trials out to indicting state: What Supreme Court once said and did
Won’t take Guwahati route even if you behead me: Raut
Times of India | 3 hours ago | 28-06-2022 | 03:17 am
Times of India
3 hours ago | 28-06-2022 | 03:17 am

Mumbai: Even as the ED has summoned Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut on Tuesday in two money laundering cases, he said, “I just came to know that ED has summoned me,” He tweeted further, “Good! There are big political developments in Maharashtra. We, Balasaheb’s Shivsainiks, are fighting a big battle. This is a conspiracy to stop me. Even if you behead me, I won’t take the Guwahati route. Arrest me! Jai Hind!”Last week the agency registered a case where Dewan Housing Finance Corporation Ltd (DHFL)’s erstwhile promoters Kapil Wadhawan and his brother Dheeraj are accused of a Rs 34,615-crore loan fraud along with builder Sudhakar Shetty of Sahana group. The ED is in the process of taking custody of Pune businessman Avinash Bhosale for questioning in the same case. Agency sources said ED registered the DHFL money laundering case based on a CBI FIR and while examining documents collected during the investigation, found suspicious entries linked to Sanjay Raut.The second case in which Raut’s been called for questioning is related to a Rs 1,200-crore chawl redevelopment fraud involving the Housing Development and Infrastructure Ltd (HDIL) group, its promoters Rakesh Wadhawan and son Sarang and Sanjay Raut’s associate Pravin Raut. HDIL subsidiary Guru Ashish Construction had taken over redevelopment of Goregaon’s Patra Chawl after entering into an agreement with the land owner Mhada (a state government agency) and residents of the structure. Pravin Raut was a shareholder in Guru Ashish who received Rs 50 crore after he exited the company. Pravin Raut also received Rs 45 crore from a land deal at Palghar from the HDIL group. Earlier, ED arrested had Pravin Raut and chargesheeted him after alleging that “Pravin Raut received Rs 112 crore between 2008 and 2010 from HDIL in multiple instalments. He failed to give valid reasons.”The ED suspects that Pravin Raut is a front for some influential persons including politicians. In April, the ED had attached a flat in Mumbai owned by Sanjay Raut’s wife Varsha and eight other land parcels jointly owned by her and another businessman’s wife in Alibaug, collectively valued at Rs 11 crore. ED had alleged that these properties were purchased through money diverted by Pravin Raut.Sanjay Raut did not comment on the ED’s allegations about his involvement.

Won’t take Guwahati route even if you behead me: Raut
Relief as colleges take steps to set aside seats for students awaiting CBSE, ISC results
The Indian Express | 5 hours ago | 28-06-2022 | 12:45 am
The Indian Express
5 hours ago | 28-06-2022 | 12:45 am

A number of city colleges, especially those having autonomous status, have spelt relief for students awaiting their Class 12 CBSE and ISC results as they are not following Mumbai University’s admissions schedule.Earlier, the university’s circular declaring admission schedule had caused concern as it had asked city colleges to begin admissions even as CBSE and ISC students awaited their results.At Mithibai and N M College in Vile Parle, admissions to professional or self-financed degree courses are based solely on students’ performance in entrance tests. While their ongoing tests will continue until June-end, results are expected by July 10 and the admissions shall commence only after that.“It is unfair to start admissions while all those who are eligible are not ready to apply,” said Dr Krutika Desai, principal of Mithibai College. Dr Desai said that with a few seats available in traditional courses, it would be better to wait for them to be filled by giving a fair chance to all board students. Dr Desai has also written to the varsity administration in the regard.Meanwhile, Mumbai University has completed its degree admission registration process. A total of 2,41,921 aspirants have confirmed their pre-enrolment registration with Mumbai University and a total of 6,45,228 applications have been received for different courses.At Jai Hind College, admissions will wait until all board results are out. “Along with entrance tests for admission to professional courses, we have 50 per cent weightage given to the marks obtained by students in board exams,” said Dr. Ashok Wadia, principal of the college.In case of St. Xavier’s College, seats will be kept reserved for students coming from ISC and CBSE boards. “Based on admission statistics from the past few years, a certain set of seats will be kept aside for students coming from non-state boards. This also includes other students from boards where the results are yet not declared,” said Dr Rajendra Shinde, principal of St Xavier’s College where the entrance test will be held on July 2. KC College and HR College too are likely to follow a similar process of keeping the seats reserved.

Relief as colleges take steps to set aside seats for students awaiting CBSE, ISC results