India | 1 week ago | 03-08-2022 | 10:09 pm
Mumbai Coronavirus Latest Update: Nearly after a month-long gap, Mumbai again on Wednesday reported 434 new coronavirus cases, up from 329 a day ago and the highest daily count since July 9. Due to the infection, one more patient died in the city, the BMC said on Wednesday.Also Read - Thanks to Social Media, Mumbai Woman Finds Her Missing Mother After 20 Years in PakistanWith the new infections, the overall tally of COVID cases went up to 11,25,740, while the death toll increased to 19,652, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) said in a bulletin. Also Read - CNG, Piped Cooking Gas Prices Get Costlier In Mumbai , Check New Rates HereMoreover, Mumbai also registered the highest number of cases since July 9 when the daily tally stood at 499. Mumbai had on July 12 recorded as many as 420 new cases. Also Read - Shah Rukh Khan’s Pics From 'Dunki' Set In Budapest Goes ViralOn Tuesday, the city had logged 329 COVID-19 cases, but no fresh death. The new cases were detected after 10,725 tests were conducted in the last 24 hours, pushing up their cumulative count to 1,78,52,794.A day before, 5,785 COVID-19 tests were conducted in the city. Mumbai’s tally of recuperated patients rose to 11,03,982 after 282 more people recovered from the respiratory disease, leaving the city with 2,106 active cases. The city has a coronavirus recovery rate of 98.1 per cent.The growth rate of COVID-19 stood at 0.025 per cent between July 27 and August 2, while the case doubling rate was 2,830 days.Earlier in the day, over 17,135 new coronavirus infections reported in the country with the total tally going up to 4,40,67,144. However, the active cases have declined to 1,37,057, according to the Union health ministry data updated on Wednesday. The COVID-19 death toll has climbed to 5,26,477 with 47 new fatalities.
NAGPUR: The 11 districts in the Vidarbha region together reported 164 new cases while 247 patients recovered in the last 24 hours. No death was reported due to Covid in the last 24 hours. More than 6,000 tests were conducted in the region during the last 24 hours. With 164 of them positive, the test positivity is less than 3.5% in the region. Now, less than 1,300 patients are under treatment. Out of them, 600-odd are in Nagpur district alone. Out of the 1,300 under treatment patients, less than 100 are hospitalized. In Nagpur, 43 patients are hospitalized. Only 12 are hospitalized in Akola. Total 1,773 tests were conducted in Nagpur district. Out of them, 1277 were conducted in the city and 496 in rural part. Out of them, 41 tested positive in the city and 40 in rural. Total 164 patients recovered in a day. Now, 609 patients are under treatment in the district. Out of them, 43 are in the hospitals. City now has 365 patients under treatment and rural has more than 250. The change in statistics indicate that cases are coming down in city and increasing slowly in district.
Mumbai: Reliance Foundation Hospital on Monday filed a complaint about receiving calls posing threat to Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani and his family. “More than three calls were received at the hospital. Case being filed. Further probe underway”, Mumbai Police said in a statement today. This is the second time in barely 18 months that the Ambani family has been targeted. Earlier in February 2021 an SUV with 20 gelatin sticks and a threat note — was recovered from a Scorpio parked near industrialist Ambani’s residence Antilia. However, in its preliminary analysis, the Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) found that the gelatin sticks recovered from the Scorpio were capable of triggering only a low-intensity blast and there was little chance of them causing any big damage.Also Read - Independence Day 2022: Video Shows Mukesh And Nita Ambani Celebrate Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav With Grandson Prithvi | WATCH
NAVI MUMBAI: The Raigad local crime branch team on Monday detained the tempo driver involved in the fatal accident of former MLC Vinayak Mete. Mete's SUV and the tempo had collided near Bhatan tunnel in Rasayani on the Mumbai carriageway way of Mumbai-Pune expressway on Sunday around 5.15am. Read AlsoEx-MLC Vinayak Mete dies in car mishap on Mumbai-Pune expresswayFormer member of legislative council Vinayak Mete passed away after his SUV met with an accident near Bhatan tunnel in Panvel taluka on the Mumbai-Pune expressway on Sunday at around 5.30am. He was travelling with his driver in a Toyota Fortuner SUV from Pune towards Mumbai.Dayanand Gawade, police inspector of Raigad local crime branch, said, "The detained tempo driver has been identified as Umesh Yadav, who has not been arrested yet and FIR is not yet registered. The exact cause behind the accident is yet to be ascertained after considering the Mumbai forensic science laboratory's inspection report and the postmortem report. Prima facie, a motor vehicle accident case was registered at Rasayani police station." He said, "The concerned tempo was identified from the CCTV camera surveillance at Bhatan tunnel, as the fatal mishap had occurred about 500 metres before the Bhatan tunnel and around 5.30 am, the tempo was spotted crossing the tunnel towards Mumbai. The tempo's registration number led us to the tempo owner in Palghar. With the help of Kasa police in Palghar, we traced the tempo owner, who provided us the tempo driver's name as Umesh Yadav and also mobile number and that he had gone to Vapi with the tempo. We contacted on Yadav's mobile and he recieved the call. When asked whether his tempo and a Ford Endeavour SUV had crashed on the Mumbai-Pune expressway near Bhatan tunnel, he confirmed it. But, he claimed that the SUV had crashed into his tempo from behind. Hence, he halted and checked if his tempo was damaged and then he travelled ahead. Yadav's mobile tower location was traced to Vapi, Gujarat. Our crime branch team reached Vapi and detained Yadav on Monday early morning. He has been handed over to Rasayani police station for further probe."
Actor Anushka Sharma and husband, cricketer Virat Kohli, joined a host of Bollywood celebs as they joined the ‘Har Ghar Tiranga’ campaign on Independence Day 2022. Sharing a selfie with the Tricolour, Anushka wrote, “Celebrating 75 years of our independence. Wishing all the Indians around the world a very #HappyIndependenceDay !” A post shared by AnushkaSharma1588 (@anushkasharma) Meanwhile, actor Akshay Kumar along with Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, participated in a bike rally to celebrate 75 years of independence. Kumar and Phadnavis flagged off the 10 km race and car and bike rally which was held from Marine Drive, Mumbai. According to ANI, 3,500 police personnel participated in the rally of 100 four wheelers and 60 bikes. Mumbai | A 10 km race of 3.5k police personnel & rally of 100 four-wheelers and 60 bikes held from Marine Drive today to mark 75 years of IndependenceDeputy CM Devendra Fadnavis and actor Akshay Kumar flagged off the race and car & bike rally. pic.twitter.com/aMSvrq6vJZ— ANI (@ANI) August 14, 2022From Shah Rukh Khan to Aamir Khan, many Bollywood actors have expressed support for the “Har Ghar Tiranga” campaign of Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The government launched the “Har Ghar Tiranga” campaign as a part of the Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav to honour India’s 75th anniversary of independence. A post shared by Shah Rukh Khan (@iamsrk)On Sunday, Shah Rukh Khan and his wife Gauri Khan took to Instagram and shared picture and video of their pre-Independence Day celebrations. In the photo, Shah Rukh, Gauri and their sons Aryan and AbRam are seen standing in front of the Indian flag. “Teaching the young ones at home the essence and sacrifice of our Freedom Fighters for our country India, will still take a few more sittings. But getting the flag hoisted by the little one made us all FEEL the pride, love and happiness instantly,” Shah Rukh wrote in the caption.Aamir Khan, Kartik Aaryan, Alia Bhatt and R Madhavan also supported the campaign by hoisting the tricolor at their house. Anil Kapoor decorated his house with tricoloured lights and also hoisted a flag outside his house. Apart from that, celebrities like Kareena Kapoor Khan, Farah Khan, Disha Patani, Neetu Kapoor and Shahid Kapoor among others took to their Instagram stories and wished their fans, “Happy 75th Independence Day.”
Even as the centralised online admission system for the First Year Junior College (FYJC ) is still on, colleges can begin academics as the first round of admissions, with the most seat allotment, is already over. Considering the delay in the beginning of the admission process due to late results, most candidates are wondering when their college life will finally begin. Amid ongoing FYJC admissions, Director of Education (Secondary and Higher Secondary) Mahesh Palkar, whose office conducts the process, talks to Pallavi Smart on the delay, increase in the number of candidates applying for FYJC this year and the overall process.Why was the FYJC centralised admissions process delayed this year?Even as the centralised online admissions for the First Year Junior College (FYJC ) is still on, junior colleges (Classes 11 & 12) in Maharashtra have been told that they can start teaching students as majority of the seats have already been allotted. The delayed admission cycle this year (on account delayed Board results) have left thousands of students anxious about when their college life will finally begin.Director of Education (Secondary and Higher Secondary) Mahesh Palkar, whose office conducts FYJC admissions, talks to Pallavi Smart on the delay, increase in the number of applicants this year and the overall process.Many state universities, including Mumbai University, began degree admissions without waiting for the non-state board Class 12 results. Then why was the FYJC admission process kept on wait?In all five cities – Mumbai, Pune, Nagpur, Nashik and Amravati – where the centralised online admission process is conducted, the candidates from non-state boards applying for FYJC seats amount to 9-10 per cent of the total applications. Out of this, five per cent are from CBSE board. This is a considerable number of students. In order to offer an equal opportunity to all students, it was imperative to wait for the Class 10 results of non-state boards. Moreover, it cannot be compared with the degree-admissions as non-state board schools offering Class 12 are fewer in number than those offering Class 10. This leads to a greater number of non-state board students seeking admission to FYJC than those in degree courses. All the cities having the centralised online system for FYJC admissions form most part of urban Maharashtra having highest number of non-state board schools.How many students have applied for FYJC this year and is there any change when compared to the number of applications in the last couple of years?This year, a total of 4,52,121 candidates have confirmed their admission applications for the centralised online admission for FYJC in all five cities combined. This may increase finally as along with admission rounds, the application process is to continue. There is certainly a sharp increase in the number of applications from the past two years. Last year, a total of 4,10,853 candidates applied for the centralised online admission for FYJC, this was 4,27,264, a year before that.What could be the reason for this increase in the number of FYJC applications for cities?Past two years amid the pandemic, the admission preferences changed for most students and their parents. With academics going online, most preferred to take admission to junior colleges closer to their residences. This led to a reduction in the number of students applying for FYJC in cities, unlike old times when many aspiring candidates from peripheral and outskirt areas from these five cities would want to take a chance of learning in city colleges. Now with life mostly returning to normalcy, students from other parts of Maharashtra and their parents are willing to take this chance again.When is junior college going to start?The first round of the centralised online admission process, which includes the highest number of seat allotments, is already over in all five cities. Ideally, junior colleges can begin academics now. However, colleges have the liberty to decide on their preferred dates depending on the status of confirmed admissions recorded by them.