NGT admits plea to declare as illegal CRZ notification 2019

Times of India | 1 month ago | 02-12-2022 | 11:30 am

NGT admits plea to declare as illegal CRZ notification 2019

MUMBAI: The National Green Tribunal (Pune) has admitted a plea to declare the Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) Notification, 2019, illegal, ultra-vires and violative of Article 14 and 21 of the Constitution. The CRZ Notification, 2019, came into force in 2021. The plea was filed by NGO Vanashakti stating that rather than protecting the environment, the CRZ Notification, 2019, removes various environmental protections under CRZ 2011. While admitting the plea on Thursday, the NGT also directed the issuance of notices to the Union Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change, and the National and Maharashtra Coastal Zone Management Authorities, respectively. It has pointed out that the special protections granted to Greater Mumbai in CRZ 2011, have been severely diluted. The plea states CRZ 2011, laid special emphasis on Greater Mumbai on subject matters ranging from “construction of roads, solid waste disposal sites, slum rehabilitation scheme, redevelopment of dilapidated buildings,” among others, “but the entire section except protection of open spaces and construction of sewage treatment plan was deleted in the draft notification 2018 and in 2019 notification.” tnn

Google Follow Image

Similar News

Few takers among Maharashtra hospitals for BMC’s jumbo Covid equipment
Times of India | 2 hours ago | 01-02-2023 | 05:02 am
Times of India
2 hours ago | 01-02-2023 | 05:02 am

MUMBAI: The state's public health sector appears to be facing a peculiar issue of surplus. Nearly a year since the BMC dismantled its nine jumbo Covid hospitals and made its vast inventory of pandemic equipment available to state-run medical colleges and district hospitals, only half of the items have been taken. Many public facilities have either cited their own surplus inventory or logistical challenges as reasons for not taking the items from Mumbai. At the last count, the civic body was sitting on a stockpile of 418 types of supplies totalling over 73,000 items. The leftover items (see graphic) have been collected at two central depots within SevenHills Hospital and KJ Somaiya Grounds in Sion. Surprisingly, even lifesaving medical equipment such as ventilators, oxygen concentrators, and multipara monitors are languishing for months at the storage facilities, raising concerns about their continued usability. There are almost 200 ventilators, including more than 110 received under PM Cares fund, more than 800 portable oxygen cylinders, over 600 oxygen concentrators, waiting to find takers.The BMC began dismantling its jumbo Covid hospitals in February 2022. In the first phase, four jumbo centres at Kanjurmarg, Dahisar, Richardson and Cruddas in Mulund, and Nesco in Goregaon were closed. In July, the five remaining jumbos at BKC, Malad, Richardson and Cruddas in Byculla, and NSCI in Worli were shut. Soon after, the corporation appointed Dr Rajesh Dere, former dean of BKC jumbo, as chief coordinator to oversee distribution. The first opportunity to take items from the surplus inventory was given to civic-run hospitals such as KEM, Sion, Nair, Cooper, Kasturba and Nair Dental. However, since then, the distribution slowed.Dr Sanjeev Kumar, additional municipal commissioner, said they have written to the state government and received responses from a few centres which have been given equipment in the last three months. But there's a lot more than awaits distribution, he said. Since November, the BMC has given almost 5,000 items to district hospitals. Another official said they expected a lot of demand from district hospitals, but that didn't happen.Sanjay Khandare, principal secretary (health) told TOI the public health department carried out their own internal evaluation and found that they had enough surplus. "For some, it didn't make logistical sense to carry mattresses and similar items all the way from Mumbai," he said. MMRDA, which built the BKC jumbo hospital, had also written to the state government urging them to utilize all the equipment they bought. A senior civic official said that the state should have formed a joint team to assess which districts required what equipment. The official added that these items have significant value, estimated in the multiple crores.

Few takers among Maharashtra hospitals for BMC’s jumbo Covid equipment
Postpone descriptive pattern exam to 2025, Maharashtra CM Eknath Shinde urges MPSC
Times of India | 2 hours ago | 01-02-2023 | 04:58 am
Times of India
2 hours ago | 01-02-2023 | 04:58 am

MUMBAI: Chief minister Eknath Shinde on Tuesday requested the Maharashtra Public Service Commission (MPSC) to postpone its decision to conduct the state service main examination in descriptive pattern instead of objective pattern to 2025.The MPSC had earlier decided to conduct the main examination with a UPSC-like descriptive pattern from 2023. Over the last few weeks, MPSC aspirants, supported by youth organisations of various parties, have held protests in Pune, Aurangabad, Nashik, and Nagpur.In a letter to the MPSC, Shinde pointed out that the state services main examination is conducted based on objective questions, and the commission has decided to conduct it in the old method i.e. descriptive method. "If this decision is implemented immediately from 2023, there is a possibility of injustice to the students who are preparing for this examination and therefore the students have strongly demanded that the decision of the examination in the descriptive format be postponed till the main examination of 2025," Shinde said in his letter.The chief minister has also tweeted about his appeal to the MPSC.Officials said in the letter, the CM has also expressed belief that the MPSC will give relief to lakhs of youth in the state by taking an urgent decision on the matter."Shinde said the MPSC is working very efficiently and in the last seven-eight months, it has worked rapidly to reduce the backlog of jobs. The preparation for filling 75,000 vacancies in government jobs has been completed and the same has been planned," an official said, requesting anonymity.

Postpone descriptive pattern exam to 2025, Maharashtra CM Eknath Shinde urges MPSC
Mumbai Chartered Accountant Dies By Suicide Days After Rape Case Filed
Ndtv | 7 hours ago | 31-01-2023 | 11:56 pm
Ndtv
7 hours ago | 31-01-2023 | 11:56 pm

The Bhandup police in Mumbai had booked Varaiya in a rape case on January 10. (Representational)Mumbai: Days after he was booked in a rape case, a chartered accountant from Mumbai hanged himself at his friend's resort in Maharashtra's Nashik district, a police official said here on Tuesday.CA Chirag Varaiya (45) left behind a suicide note saying nobody should be held responsible for his death. He is survived by his wife and two children, said the official.The caretaker of the resort at Igatpuri alerted the police after he found Varaiya dead on Monday night, said the official.The Bhandup police in Mumbai had booked Varaiya in a rape case on January 10 following which he cooperated with them in the probe. He also assured the investigating officer that he would visit the police station whenever required, said the official.A police official from Igatpuri said, "It is a suicide case. We have not found any foul play. On the basis of primary information, we have registered an accidental death report."PromotedListen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)HelplinesVandrevala Foundation for Mental Health9999666555 or help@vandrevalafoundation.comTISS iCall022-25521111 (Monday-Saturday: 8 am to 10 pm)(If you need support or know someone who does, please reach out to your nearest mental health specialist.)Featured Video Of The DayNick, Who Doesn't Have Arms And Legs, Shows The World How To Live

Mumbai Chartered Accountant Dies By Suicide Days After Rape Case Filed
Tardeo RTO’s special squad nets Rs 2.40 lakh from errant taxi drivers in south Mumbai in 5 months
Times of India | 12 hours ago | 31-01-2023 | 07:45 pm
Times of India
12 hours ago | 31-01-2023 | 07:45 pm

MUMBAI: Tardeo Regional Transport Office (RTO) has collected a fine of 2.40 lakh in five months since a special squad and helpline number was set up to help passengers lodge complaint against errant taxi drivers.The special squad can be contacted on 9076201010 (7am to 7pm). Beyond 7 pm you can whatsapp or text message the complaint and also email on mh01taxicomplaint@gmail.com. Regional Transport Officer (Tardeo) Bharat Kasalkar said, “The total fine collected between September 2022 and January 2023 was ? 2.40 lakh.”A total of 975 complaint had been received, of which 915 were of fare refusal, 35 of overcharging and 9 of rude behaviour.Out of the 975 cases, 170 cases were solved on the spot. Apart from these notices were served in 589 cases. Tardeo RTO is the first to start such an initiative in Maharashtra with an objective to ensure citizens have hassle-free journeys by cabs. It has entrusted three officials dedicated to this squad along with a special vehicle which can be summoned to any part of the island city. The squad have made visits to railway stations -- Mumbai Central, Dadar, Matunga, Churchgate and CSMT -- and interacted with taxi drivers and union leaders at the stands in initial stages to counsel them to refrain from rude behaviour, refusals or charging excess fare from passengers.The squad has been trained, a control room has been set up, and two additional staffers have been provided for back-end support in sending show-cause notices to drivers. Every call is attended by an officer of rank of assistant inspector or inspector.

Tardeo RTO’s special squad nets Rs 2.40 lakh from errant taxi drivers in south Mumbai in 5 months
Tagged: