Ndtv | 1 week ago | 24-11-2022 | 02:55 pm
We did not comment earlier to maintain the dignity of Governor's office, Pawar said. (File)Mumbai: Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief Sharad Pawar on Thursday criticised Maharashtra Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari over his recent statement on Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, and said he has "crossed all the limits".The former Union minister also said that "such people" should not be given crucial posts.Koshyari had said last week during an event in Aurangabad that Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj was an icon of "olden days". His statement had drawn flak from NCP and Uddhav Thackeray-led Shiv Sena faction.Speaking to reporters here, Pawar said, "When I heard his comments about Shiv Chhatrapati...now he has crossed all the limits. He did praise Shivaji Maharaj yesterday, but it is a late realisation." "I think the President and the Prime Minister should take a decision (about Koshyari). Such people should not be given crucial posts," he said.The post of governor represents an institution and in order to maintain the dignity of that post, we did not comment against Koshyari earlier, the NCP supremo added.PromotedListen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.comKoshyari is on a two-day Delhi tour starting Thursday.(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)Featured Video Of The DaySupreme Court Talks Tough On Election Commission Appointments
Opposition parties and Sambhaji Brigade, a prominent Maratha organisation, have called for a bandh in Pune next Tuesday, December 13, protesting against the alleged objectionable comments against Chhatrapati Shivaji made by Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari, who called Shivaji an “icon of olden times”.Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), Congress, Shiv Sena’s Uddhav Thackeray faction and Sambhaji Brigade met in front of the Chhatrapati Shivaji statue on the Shri Shivaji Preparatory Military School ground in Shivajinagar Wednesday.“It has been almost a month since the Governor made a controversial statement on Maratha king Chhatrapati Shivaji. The BJP leadership has not taken any action against him for insulting the Maratha king,” said Santosh Shinde of Sambhaji Brigade.“BJP leaders are repeatedly making statements insulting the Maratha king. There is a need to intensify the agitation against those insulting Chhatrapati Shivaji. Thus, a Pune bandh has been unanimously called on December 13 by representatives of various organisations. However, the bandh will not cause inconvenience to citizens,” he added.The meeting was attended by city NCP chief Prashant Jagtap, city Congress chief Arvind Shinde and Gajanan Thurkude of Shiv Sena “The NCP will participate in the Pune bandh. The details of the kind of agitation will be declared later on,” said city NCP spokesperson Pradeep Deshmukh. City Shiv Sena chief Sanjay More said he was not around and would later announce the plans for the agitation.Last month, during his speech at Dr Ambedkar Marathwada University, Koshyari said: “Earlier, when you would be asked who is your icon — Jawaharlal Nehru, Subhas Chandra Bose, and Mahatma Gandhi used to be the answer. Whereas in Maharashtra, you need not look elsewhere (as) there are so many icons here… while Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj is of olden times, there are icons such as Ambedkar and Nitin Gadkari in modern times.” The Governor’s statement evoked a sharp and angry backlash across political parties.
A bandh call has been given in the industrial city of Pimpri-Chinchwad on Thursday in protest against the controversial remarks of Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari and BJP spokesperson Sudanshu Trivedi. The call has been given by the NCP, Shiv Sena (UBT), Congress, VBA and at least 100 social and voluntary organisations.“Essential services, hospitals, ambulances, schools and colleges have been exempted from the bandh. The NCP, Shiv Sena led by Uddhav Thackeray, Congress, VBA, AIMIM and at least 100 organisations are supporting the bandh,” Maruti Bhapkar, one of the organisers of the bandh, said.Activist Manav Kamble said the bandh has been called to protest against the “insulting” remarks of Koshyari and Trivedi. “We want the Governor to be shifted out of Maharashtra. The Governor has insulted Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj twice and it seems like there is a BJP conspiracy behind this,” he said.Bhapkar said the bandh will be enforced from 9 am to 5 pm. “All shops, industrial units, eateries and markets will remain closed to support the bandh,” he said.
The Shiv Sena (UBT), led by Uddhav Thackeray, has submitted around 20 lakh party membership forms and 2.83 lakh affidavits to the Election Commission (EC) of India, ahead of December 8 – the last day of submission of documents before the poll panel.From December 13, the EC will hear the dispute between the two Sena factions led by Thackeray and Chief Minister Eknath Shinde over which is the real Shiv Sena and would control the party’s organisational structure as well as have the right to use its election symbol bow and arrow.A Shiv Sena (UBT) leader said, “We have filed 2,83,000 affidavits of members from the organisational wing of the party and about 20 lakh primary membership forms. There are more members in the party but due to time constraints, we could only submit 20 lakh.”Balasahebanchi Shiv Sena, led by Shinde, has till now submitted around 10 lakh forms of primary membership and 1.8 lakh affidavits from office-bearers. A Shinde faction leader claimed they would submit 10 lakh more membership forms soon. “Ten lakh forms have been submitted to the poll panel in physical form. But we have 10 lakh more forms, which were filled online. We will soon submit the same to the EC,” the leader added.After rebelling against the Thackeray-led Shiv Sena in June, leading to the fall of the Maha Vikas Aghadi government, the Shinde faction had moved EC, seeking allocation of the party’s election symbol and his faction’s recognition as the “real” Shiv Sena. Both the factions of the party were instructed by the EC to submit documentary evidences of their factions, including letters of support and other documents to prove they are the original Sena.
Mumbai: The Shiv Sena (UBT) has submitted 20 lakh primary membership forms and affidavits of three lakh office-bearers, to the Election Commission (EC), which is hearing the dispute between the Uddhav Thackeray and chief minister Eknath Shinde factions, ahead of the last day of submission on Thursday. The Shinde faction has submitted 10.3 lakh primary membership forms and 1.8 lakh affidavits of office-bearers, so far.A senior leader of the Shinde group said they will soon submit another 10 lakh forms which were signed up online. “So our total will be over 20 lakh,” the senior leader added. Sena (UBT) MP Anil Desai, who is handling the faction’s EC affairs, told TOI: “The EC wanted these forms and affidavits in a particular format with indexation. So we have submitted 20 lakh primary membership forms in the required format. We have also submitted three lakh affidavits of office-bearers from zilla pramukhs to booth pramukhs. We have also submitted all other documents sought by the EC.”In October, the Shiv Sena (UBT) had submitted around 8.5 lakh primary membership forms to the EC in two trucks. The EC had initially set the submission deadline for the two factions on November 23, but later extended it to October 2 and finally to December 9.“However, on December 2, the EC issued a letter to us stating that the documents need to be submitted in another format. This seems to be a way to give more time to the other faction as they have not been able to get enough memberships,” claimed Desai. “We will write to the EC on Thursday stating that we have given the forms and affidavits and if they want the format changed or more details, like addresses and names, then it will take time as it will be a voluminous task. We are the original Shiv Sena and that’s why we have been able to get 20 lakh primary members to sign up.” Soon after Shinde rebelled with 40 MLAs in July, Thackeray had given a target to all of Sena’s zilla pramukhs (district chiefs) to get 50 lakh members to submit affidavits pledging support. Sena (UBT) had asked all office-bearers to submit ‘loyalty affidavits’. Earlier this year, guided by the urgency to take an interim call on the ongoing dispute between the two Sena camps in view of the assembly bypoll in Andheri (East), the EC froze the Sena’s reserved poll symbol ‘bow and arrow’ till such time that it determines which of the two factions — the one headed by Thackeray or by Shinde — should be recognised as the ‘real’ Shiv Sena.
Nagpur: Legendary playback singer Asha Bhosle will be conferred with Maharashtra Bhushan award in the city, said state cultural affairs minister Sudhir Mungantiwar while speaking to the media on Wednesday. The government has finalized Yashwant Stadium in Dhantoli as the venue while the function is likely to be held on December 21 or 22. The Maharashtra Bhushan Selection Committee chaired by former chief minister Uddhav Thackeray had unanimously selected Bhosle for the prestigious award. “The committee members want all the ministers, MLAs and MLCs to be part of the function. They demanded that the event should be held during the winter session in Nagpur, where all these elected representatives would remain present. Our only concern was consent by Bhosle. After she agreed to come to the city to receive the award, we decided to hold the event here,” Mungantiwar said.Starting her career in 1943, Bhosle was also mentioned by the Guinness Book of World Records as the most recorded artist in history. The younger sibling of late Lata Mangeshkar has already received the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 2000 and the Padma Vibhushan in 2008.