Ndtv | 5 days ago | 22-06-2022 | 10:33 am
The accused also allegedly manhandled another sex worker.Thane: Four persons allegedly attacked a 23-year-old woman working as a commercial sex worker over a monetary dispute in Thane in Maharashtra, police on Wednesday.The incident took place in Bhiwandi town of Thane district on Sunday and based on a complaint filed by the victim, the police registered a case against a couple and two other persons on Tuesday, an official from Bhiwandi police station said. The accused allegedly pulled the woman by her hair, dragged her out of her house and beat her up, the victim said in the complaint.The accused also allegedly manhandled another sex worker, who came to rescue her, the official said.PromotedListen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.comFollowing the victim's complaint, the police registered a case against the four accused under relevant provisions, he said, adding that no arrest was made so far.(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)
Mumbai: The state government informed the Bombay high court on Monday that it will not arrest actor Ketaki Chitale in 21 of 22 FIRs filed against her over her sharing of a post allegedly derogatory to NCP chief Sharad Pawar. Her quashing plea will be heard on July 12 along with a similar petition by Nashik student Nikhil Bhamare in connection with an FIR against him for his tweet against the veteran politician.More than a month after her May 14 arrest, Chitale was granted bail on June 22 by a Thane sessions court in an FIR filed at Kalwa police station for her post. She was released the following day. The actor is facing 22 FIRs and 4 non-cognizable offences in Maharashtra over her post. The FIRs invoked section 153A of IPC for the offence of promoting enmity on the grounds of religion, race, place of birth and residence.In the HC, her advocate Ghanshyam Upadhyay argued that in the remaining 21 FIRs, which are not maintainable, her arrest ought to be stayed.The HC asked public prosecutor Aruna Pai if she would make a statement on not arresting Chitale. After seeking instructions from the DGP, Pai made the statement, following which the HC posted the quashing plea for further hearing in July. Chitale had also sought HC orders to declare her arrest “illegal” and in “breach of law”.
THE MUMBAI crime branch has been asked to reinvestigate the rape case in which the Mumbai Police had wrongfully arrested two brothers, who were eventually discharged by the court last week.The Dharavi police had on May 15 arrested the brothers, aged 20 and 19, in connection with the rape of a 19-year-old married woman at her residence. The woman had alleged that two persons had entered her residence and raped her on May 11, based on which an FIR was registered.A senior officer said, “After the botched up investigation by the local police, it was decided to ask the crime branch to investigate the matter afresh.”The officer said that the case is being investigated by Unit V of the Mumbai crime branch. An officer said that the current case is part of nearly 20-25 cases that have been transferred to the crime branch from local police units. “Several crimes registered at local police stations that had not been solved were transferred to the crime branch by the Mumbai Police Commissioner,” said an officer.After their arrest, the family of the two brothers had approached senior police officers with proof that they where present at another place when the rape occurred. Eventually, Joint Commissioner of Police (Law & Order) Vishwas Nangre Patil intervened in the matter and when he questioned the men, it came to light that they were not involved in the case. Following this, the brothers were released on bail and eventually last week they were discharged by the Banrda court.“We will re-investigate to find out if someone else is involved in the case. We will also record a detailed statement of the woman again,” said an officer from the Mumbai crime branch.
The deaths of nine members of a family in Mhaisal town of Maharashtra’s Sangli district that earlier were being investigated as suicides are now being looked into as murders by poisoning, after police arrested two people including a “mantrik” who had allegedly promised to help the family “unearth a hidden treasure” or guptadhan.On the afternoon of June 20 around 1pm, two brothers, Dr Manik Vanmore (49), a veterinarian; and Popat Vanmore (52), an arts teacher; their mother, wives, four children of the two couples—were found dead in their houses located a kilometre apart at Mhaisal in Miraj taluka.On Sunday, the police arrested Abbas Ahmedali Bagwan (48), a mantrik, and Dheeraj Suravase (30), his aide and driver—both residents of Solapur. The police are invoking murder charges against the duo after their alleged role in the nine deaths came to light.Special inspector-general of police (Kolhapur range) Manojkumar Lohiya told The Indian Express, “We earlier considered the possibilities of all members committing suicide or two brothers committing suicide and poisoning others. But our probe now suggests that the nine family members were in fact murdered and we have arrested two persons for it. The Vanmore brothers were in contact with this mantrik who claimed he would help them unearth a hidden treasure. The suspect had taken a large sum of money from the family for this and he could have been worried that Vanmores would report him to the authorities. Primary investigation suggests that the previous night, the mantrik went to the houses and on the pretext of performing some rituals and gave the family members something to consume, like a prasad laced with a poisonous substance.”When asked about the suicide notes recovered from the houses and who could have written them, Lohiya said, “The probe still suggests that notes were written by the two brothers. But what is suspicious about the suicide notes was the sequence. We have observed in many cases that people first state the reasons and then name the persons responsible. In this case, it was exactly the opposite. Also the notes do not categorically say they were going to end their lives. It now seems that the brothers were misled into writing those notes. We are still probing that angle.”As for the 25 people booked earlier, Lohiya said, “The case is now taking a different direction. As the probe progresses, we may file an application to discharge these people who were charged with abetment of suicide.”The police are now trying to ascertain how the poisonous substance was administered to the family members in two houses, but have not revealed the substance.The investigation took a different turn after the police found out that Vanmore brothers had been meeting some people who claimed to have powers to “unearth hidden wealth” or guptadhan. The two brothers had borrowed large sums of money from people to pay the mantrik from the from time to time over the past few years. The investigation suggests the mantrik and his aide had visited Vanmores’ houses on many nights including the one before the day when the deaths came to light.Asked whether the anti-superstition law would be invoked in the case, superintendent of police Dikshit Gedam said, “We will take a call on that as the investigation progresses.”Dr Manik was found dead at his house along with his mother Akkatai (72), wife Rekha (45), their children Anita (28) and Aditya (15), and Popat’s son Shubham (28). The bodies of Popat, his wife Sangeeta (48) and daughter Archana (30) were found at his house.
PUNE: The Vishrantwadi police are investigating a complaint registered by a 32-year-old jobless man on Sunday stating that tele callers duped him to the tune of Rs 27,460 on the pretext of installing a mobile tower on his plot at Daund near Pune in December last year. “The tele callers called Suyog Adhav a resident of Bhairavnagar in Dhanori and told him that a mobile company had planned to install a mobile tower on his property. The callers lured him by saying that the company will pay a deposit of Rs 15 lakh and will pay monthly rent of Rs 12,000 to him,” said inspector (crime) Vijay Shinde on Monday. Shinde said, “The tele callers instructed Adhav to deposit registration fees among other charges of Rs 27,460 for finalising the deal and collected photo copies of his voters card and Aadhar card. Adhav did not meet the tele callers in person and nor did he verify their credentials and nor did he contact the company for verifying details. Believing them to be genuine representatives of the firm, Adhav transferred money via e-wallet in the tele caller’s bank account.” Adhav later realised that he was cheated because the callers continued to make money demands. An FIR relating to cheating was registered under the relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code and Information Technology Act,” he added. Adhav was not available for comments when TOI staffer contacted him on phone.
With Political crisis of the MVA government getting longer, rebel MLAs are taking to chess and ludo games to engage with each other. It is more than six days that rebel MLAs lodged inside a hotel in Guwahati. As the tussle has entered into legal tangle there are expectations that rebel MLAs in Guwahati which is 48 out of which 39 are MLAs of Shiv Sena will have to stay longer in the luxury hotel in Guwahati. Sources told ET, “The MLAs who are otherwise busy in day-to-day life are finding time to play chess and ludo games to keep themselves engaged. Besides a couple of meetings within themselves they hardly have any activity here.” Sources added, “The MLAs who are in the hotel since June 22 hardly have ventured outside the hotel rooms, at best they gather in the lobby and beyond that that hardly move. Occasionally BJP leaders and ministers are visiting the hotel.” On Sunday cabinet ministers of Assam, Ashok Singhal and Pijush Hazarika visited the hotel. Hotel security is reviewed daily. Assam police commandos are stationed outside the hotel. Sources added, “The rebel camp will extend its stay in Guwahati by a couple of days more. Initially they had booked a hotel for about a week. Around 70 rooms were booked for seven days. Fresh booking is not taken from other guests. Only the guests from airlines with which the hotel has long term arrangements are entertained”. Since June 22 chartered flights from Surat are landing in Guwahati airport carrying the rebel MLAs to a luxury hotel in the outskirts of the city, which is 24 km away from the international airport. In the periphery hotels security staff and Assam police have posted a large number of security personnel making a security ring. Ruling BJP has been maintaining that it has nothing to do with this crisis. Assam chief minister Himanta Biswa Sarma claimed that these people are guests and have chosen Guwahati for their stay on their own. Leaders of the Manipur unit of Shiv Sena went to the hotel to meet the rebel leader Eknath Shinde, however they were not allowed to meet. The leaders were stopped at the entrance of the hotel. President of Manipur unit M Tombi Singh said he had talked to some Sena leaders in Mumbai.” I came to see Shinde to request him that the party should not get divided.