The Indian Express | 3 days ago | 24-11-2022 | 02:45 pm
Actor Vikram Gokhale’s family has confirmed that he continues to be critical and is suffering from multiple organ failure. The actor, 77, is admitted to Pune’s Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital in Pune, Maharashtra, and is on ventilator. After rumours of his passing made rounds on Wednesday night, the Gokhale family told indianexpress.com on Thursday morning that “he is alive, but remains critical”.Vikram’s wife Vrishali, shared a handwritten statement giving an update on the actor’s health on Thursday afternoon. She wrote, “Mr Vikram Gokhale is critical since last 24 hours. Doctors are trying their best. He is not responding to the treatment as expected. He has multi organ failure.”Now, the hospital, in their press statement, has said that the actor remains critical. “A meeting b/w Vikram Gokhale’s family & doctors took place this morning at 10am. The actor is very much alive but critical & on the ventilator. News of his demise is wrong,” hospital’s official PRO Shirish Yadgikar said in a statement. On Thursday morning, Gokhale’s family told indianexpress.com, “He is still critical and on life support and has not passed yet. Keep praying for him.”According to sources close to his family, the actor is not responding to treatment. “Vikram Gokhale is extremely critical. He is fighting many health complications, he is not responding to treatment. Doctors treating him are trying their best, and until the doctors give any further instructions to the family, they’ll not be in the state to make any statement. Please don’t believe any rumours, please keep praying,” a source close to family said.Gokhale has been in the hospital for over a week, his family had earlier shared that he was responding to treatment but he suddenly went into coma on Tuesday. They had said, “He was doing okay a few days ago, won’t say that he was fine as he has multiple health issues. He has been at the hospital for the last few days and was recovering too, but from yesterday he’s critical. We are waiting for the doctors to tell us the way forward, hopefully tomorrow they’ll tell us more, tell us what needs to be done. But he is critical, and that’s all I can say.”
THANE: The MMRDA has given its approval to ease congestion at one of the 'world's most chaotic' traffic junctions at Teen Haath Naka by constructing a fresh pair of U-shaped flyovers in addition to the existing bridge that runs above the intersection, officials informed, adding that the project will also ensure the arterial junction could get rid of signals presently required for crossing the intersection. The proposal for the flyovers - with three lanes each and collectively costing approximately Rs 289 crore - was presented before the MMRDA committee last month and finally got administrative approval. Teen Haath Naka is a vital junction on the Mumbai (LBS route)-Thane-Pune-Nashik route where nearly seven roads, including three arterial lanes, converges. A 2014 study commissioned by the Thane corporation had pegged the junction as one of the world's most chaotic ones. Even though the MSRDC had built a flyover over the junction two decades back, it doesn't cater to the rising movement of traffic underneath and between the seven lanes that connect Mumbai-Thane via LBS road with the Eastern Express Highway. According to the plans, a 700m-long, U-shaped flyover will take off from the Nashik lane of the EEH after the Teen Haath Naka junction ends and will run parallel to the existing bridge and then take a turn to the right and land few metres ahead of the junction on the Mumbai-bound carriageway. All vehicles coming from Mumbai and entering Thane city or proceeding towards LBS road or old Pune highway will take this arm without waiting at the signal for crossing over. Similarly, traffic from Nashik, Pune and Thane city headed towards Mumbai using LBS road will ascend the second U-shaped flyover after crossing the junction on the Mumbai-bound lane of the highway. The flyover measuring 900m in length will run parallel to the highway and take a U-turn and land in the opposite direction ahead of the Teen Haath Naka. Officials say once the project is completed, the waiting time at signal for Mumbai, Thane, Nashik, and Pune-bound vehicles will be reduced substantially. The plan entails removing the signals that increase waiting time and often stretches beyond 15-20 minutes. The inclusion of the two U-shaped flyovers at the spot will prove beneficial in smooth management of traffic, especially once the metro station comes up on the stretch. The project may affect a small stretch of green cover between the service road and the highway.
OF THE 2,33,13,762 children enrolled in government and aided schools across Maharashtra 19,55,515 (8.38 per cent) do not have Aadhaar cards, according to recently released data from the state government. Of the 2,13,58,247 children, who have Aadhaar cards 40,01,250 are invalid meaning their enrolment will not be counted in addition to those having no Aadhaar card.Ahead of the teacher approval process, the data has become a cause of worry for many schools. Posts of teachers allotted to each school are based on the number of enrolled students. Students having valid Aadhaar cards are considered enrolled, and it is factored in while calculating the student-teacher ratio to approve required posts of teachers.The data reveals 91 per cent of students have Aadhaar enrolment and 18 per cent of it is invalid.“There are mistakes in particulars such as name, date of birth or gender etc on invalid Aadhaar cards. Due to lack of willingness among parents to take steps for correction, the schools are going to have to take the responsibility,” said Mahendra Ganpule, spokesperson for Maharashtra Headmasters’ Association, adding that apart from the fixation of approved posts of teachers, from January 2023, midday meal scheme is going to be linked with Aadhaar.According to the district-wise data, the Pune district tops the list with 18,03,893 children out of 21,13,564 having Aadhaar cards, but 17 per cent of these are invalid. Thane district takes the second place with 15,23,235 of 17,55,388 students having Aadhar, but 16 per cent of those are invalid. Mumbai suburban ranks fourth in the list after Nashik district.The Pune district also has the highest student count without Aadhar at 3,09,671. The districts of Thane, Mumbai and Aurangabad take the second, third and fourth positions in terms of students, who have no Aadhaar.“Considering that these are the districts with highest student enrollment; in case of the count of students enrolment with or without Aadhaar they appear at the top in sheer numbers,” explained an official from the school education department, adding that the schools have been additional time till December 12 to complete Aadhaar updation on the student portal.
UPSET with “inaction” against Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari despite their repeated demands, Chattrapati Udayanraje Bhosale and Sambhajiraje Chhatrapati, descendants of Chhatrapati Shivaji, have upped the ante, seeking decisive action in the matter.While Sambhajiraje expressed the possibility of an “uprising”, Udayanraje will hold a press conference in Pune on Monday in which he will announce an “important decision”, said his aides.Last week, Udayanraje held a press conference in Pune and demanded the immediate ouster of the Governor as well as Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) spokesperson Sudhanshu Trivedi for “insulting” the Maratha warrior king. While the Governor had reportedly called Shivaji a hero of the past era during a function, Trivedi, during a TV debate on V D Savarkar’s apology, had said that the 17th-century king had also “apologised” during his regime.In a tweet on Sunday, Sambhajiraje warned of an “uprising” if no action is taken against the Governor. “Does it mean the government agrees with the remarks? No one should take the people of Maharashtra for granted. If the government does not understand the sentiments of Shiv Bhakats, an uprising will take place,” he said.Last week, Sambhajiraje had asked as to what was preventing the government from taking action against the Governor. “The Governor has tried to belittle Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, who is worshipped by millions, at least twice. It is unbelievable that…the government remained a mere spectator…now even BJP spokesperson Sudhanshu Trivedi has made insulting remarks. If such things are allowed to continue, it will lead to a revolt from the people of Maharashtra,” he had said.While Udayanraje is Rajya Sabha MP from the BJP, Sambhajiraje is a former RS Parliamentarian who was also a presidential nominee. Both the royals are known for their proximity to Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.Udayanraje’s close associates said he will make an important announcement on Monday. “We don’t know whether it relates to his resignation or not. It may be about resignation or it may not be so… We have no clue but we know for sure that he will announce an important decision,” said an aide on Sunday.Both Udayanraje and Sambhajiraje are firm that the Governor should be sent packing from Maharashtra. “He should not serve as Governor anywhere,” Sambhajiraje told TV channels in Kolhapur on Saturday.Udayanraje said, “The Maharashtra Governor deserved to be sent to an old age home.”
Four people were injured after a footbridge collapsed in ChandrapurNew Delhi: Four people were injured after slabs from a footbridge they were walking on collapsed in Maharashtra's Chandrapur today. The incident happened at Ballar Shah railway station in the city at 5 pm.The people who were on the footbridge fell on the railway tracks below. No train was running on those tracks at that time."A large number of passengers were using the FOB (foot overbridge) to board a Pune-bound train when a part of it suddenly caved in. As a result, some people fell 20 feet down on the railway track," a Government Railway Police official told news agency PTI.The connects platforms one and four.PromotedListen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com"All have been shifted to the Civil Hospital after giving first aid," railway spokesperson Shivaji Sutar told news agency ANI.The railways announced a compensation of Rs 1 lakh for those with serious injuries, and Rs 50,000 for those with minor injuries.
KOLHAPUR: Karnataka CM's recent statement about the merger of certain Maharashtra areas with Karnataka has further fanned the flames of the Maharashtra-Karnataka border dispute, with aggressive reactions flaring up on both sides of the border. With state transport buses becoming a soft target of political outfits, transport corporations of states have had to stop their buses from entering the other state at times. In Maharashtra, bus services from Solapur and Sangli plying towards Karnataka were suspended. As a result, passengers who need to travel across the state border are facing inconvenience due to the unavailability of buses. Sachin Gurav, a college professor from Kolhapur who works at Sankeshwar in Karnataka, said, "Every time the border dispute flares up, the bus services are affected. People like me, who have to cross the border every day, end up feeling the brunt. This row must be resolved now. On Saturday, I had to travel to Sankeshwar in Karnataka on my bike as the buses were not plying." On Friday evening, Karnataka state buses had been defaced with black ink and 'Jay Maharashtra' slogans were written on them in Kolhapur by the supporters of Shiv Sena's Uddhav Thackeray group. At night, an unidentified person threw a stone and broke the windowpane of one Karnataka state bus (KA 23-F-1004) on the Athani-Pune route near Mhaishal village in Sangli district. At Daund tehsil in Pune, members of the Maratha Mahasangh members threw black ink on a Nipani-Aurangabad bus of Karnataka transport. Corresponding actions were also seen on the Karnataka side of the border. Members of the Karnataka Navnirman Sena threw black ink on a Maharashtra transport bus plying on the Akkalkot-Afzalpur route on Friday night. Maharashtra ST buses from Miraj, Sangli and Solapur depot - going towards Athani, Kagwad and Gulbarga - were stopped by the Karnataka police near Kagwad on Saturday. The buses were not allowed to enter Karnataka. After these attacks on buses, the Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) and Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) are sending out buses only after assessing the ongoing agitation and protests. MSRTC divisional traffic controller Shivraj Jadhav said, "Nearly 70% of buses have resumed service and are plying towards Karnataka. If there is any agitation, or the situation worsens, then the police and cross-border bus depots inform us. Then we stop our buses for a while. On Friday, bus services were significantly affected, but since Saturday noon, the services from and to Kolhapur have resumed."