Will Not Cede "Even An Inch" Of Land: Eknath Shinde On State Border Row

Ndtv | 1 week ago | 25-11-2022 | 08:41 am

Will Not Cede "Even An Inch" Of Land: Eknath Shinde On State Border Row

Ajit Pawar also sought the Centre's intervention on the issue.Mumbai: Amid the ongoing controversy over the border dispute between Maharashtra and Karnataka, Chief Minister Eknath Shinde on Thursday asserted that his government will not let even an inch of the land of Maharashtra go away to anyone.While talking to reporters on Thursday, Eknath Shinde said, "We are doing the work of giving justice to the Marathi people in the border areas. Not even an inch of space in Maharashtra will be allowed to go anywhere." "It is our government's responsibility to solve the problems of 40 villages," he added.Earlier, the former Chief Minister of Maharashtra Uddhav Thackeray slammed Karnataka Chief Minister Basavraj Bommai's remarks on the border dispute between the two states and called the latter "possessed"."The Karnataka Chief Minister is giving his statement on border issues. It seems like Karnataka CM Bommai has been possessed for suddenly staking a claim on 40 villages in Maharashtra?" Uddhav Thackeray said.Earlier, Maharashtra Leader of Opposition Ajit Pawar condemned Karnataka Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai's remarks on the border dispute between the two states and asked Chief Minister Eknath Shinde and his Deputy Devendra Fadnavis to "give a strong answer".Ajit Pawar also sought the Centre's intervention on the issue.This comes after Mr Bommai indulged in a war of words with Fadnavis over the border issue between the two states and called the remarks of the Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister "provocative"."Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has made a provocative statement on the Karnataka Maharashtra border issue and his dream will never come true. Our government is committed to protecting the country's land, water and borders," Mr Bommai tweeted on Wednesday evening.Mr Fadnavis had said that no village in Maharashtra would go to Karnataka."No village in Maharashtra will go to Karnataka! The state government will fight strongly in the Supreme Court to get Marathi-speaking villages including Belgaum-Karwar-Nipani," he had tweeted.Reacting to the issue, Mr Pawar said, "After claiming the villages of Jat taluka in Sangli district, now the Karnataka Chief Minister has claimed Akkalkot and Solapur too. I strongly condemn the statement of the Karnataka Chief Minister. Our Chief Minister Eknath Shinde and Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis should give a strong answer. The centre should intervene immediately. The case is pending in court. It's to distract people and divert attention from inflation, unemployment."Mr Pawar also made an ironic remark that now only Mumbai is left to be demanded.Karnataka CM Bommai had earlier said that the border row has become a political tool in Maharashtra, and any party in power will raise the issue for political purposes. "My government is capable of protecting the borders of Karnataka and has taken steps also," Mr Bommai had said.All the war of words broke out after Mr Bommai claimed that some villages in Maharashtra's Sangli district, which are having a water crisis, passed a resolution seeking a merger with Karnataka.PromotedListen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.comHowever, the Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister denied the claims and said no such village has recently sought a merger with Karnataka.(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)Featured Video Of The DayMeet "Marvel", The Dog On Bike Tour In Solidarity With Rahul Gandhi

Google Follow Image

Similar News

Opposition parties announce Pune bandh on December 13 protesting against Governor’s Shivaji remark
The Indian Express | 1 hour ago | 08-12-2022 | 02:45 pm
The Indian Express
1 hour ago | 08-12-2022 | 02:45 pm

Opposition parties and Sambhaji Brigade, a prominent Maratha organisation, have called for a bandh in Pune next Tuesday, December 13, protesting against the alleged objectionable comments against Chhatrapati Shivaji made by Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari, who called Shivaji an “icon of olden times”.Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), Congress, Shiv Sena’s Uddhav Thackeray faction and Sambhaji Brigade met in front of the Chhatrapati Shivaji statue on the Shri Shivaji Preparatory Military School ground in Shivajinagar Wednesday.“It has been almost a month since the Governor made a controversial statement on Maratha king Chhatrapati Shivaji. The BJP leadership has not taken any action against him for insulting the Maratha king,” said Santosh Shinde of Sambhaji Brigade.“BJP leaders are repeatedly making statements insulting the Maratha king. There is a need to intensify the agitation against those insulting Chhatrapati Shivaji. Thus, a Pune bandh has been unanimously called on December 13 by representatives of various organisations. However, the bandh will not cause inconvenience to citizens,” he added.The meeting was attended by city NCP chief Prashant Jagtap, city Congress chief Arvind Shinde and Gajanan Thurkude of Shiv Sena “The NCP will participate in the Pune bandh. The details of the kind of agitation will be declared later on,” said city NCP spokesperson Pradeep Deshmukh. City Shiv Sena chief Sanjay More said he was not around and would later announce the plans for the agitation.Last month, during his speech at Dr Ambedkar Marathwada University, Koshyari said: “Earlier, when you would be asked who is your icon — Jawaharlal Nehru, Subhas Chandra Bose, and Mahatma Gandhi used to be the answer. Whereas in Maharashtra, you need not look elsewhere (as) there are so many icons here… while Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj is of olden times, there are icons such as Ambedkar and Nitin Gadkari in modern times.” The Governor’s statement evoked a sharp and angry backlash across political parties.

Opposition parties announce Pune bandh on December 13 protesting against Governor’s Shivaji remark
Sena factions submit proof of membership to poll body
The Indian Express | 4 hours ago | 08-12-2022 | 11:45 am
The Indian Express
4 hours ago | 08-12-2022 | 11:45 am

The Shiv Sena (UBT), led by Uddhav Thackeray, has submitted around 20 lakh party membership forms and 2.83 lakh affidavits to the Election Commission (EC) of India, ahead of December 8 – the last day of submission of documents before the poll panel.From December 13, the EC will hear the dispute between the two Sena factions led by Thackeray and Chief Minister Eknath Shinde over which is the real Shiv Sena and would control the party’s organisational structure as well as have the right to use its election symbol bow and arrow.A Shiv Sena (UBT) leader said, “We have filed 2,83,000 affidavits of members from the organisational wing of the party and about 20 lakh primary membership forms. There are more members in the party but due to time constraints, we could only submit 20 lakh.”Balasahebanchi Shiv Sena, led by Shinde, has till now submitted around 10 lakh forms of primary membership and 1.8 lakh affidavits from office-bearers. A Shinde faction leader claimed they would submit 10 lakh more membership forms soon. “Ten lakh forms have been submitted to the poll panel in physical form. But we have 10 lakh more forms, which were filled online. We will soon submit the same to the EC,” the leader added.After rebelling against the Thackeray-led Shiv Sena in June, leading to the fall of the Maha Vikas Aghadi government, the Shinde faction had moved EC, seeking allocation of the party’s election symbol and his faction’s recognition as the “real” Shiv Sena. Both the factions of the party were instructed by the EC to submit documentary evidences of their factions, including letters of support and other documents to prove they are the original Sena.

Sena factions submit proof of membership to poll body
CM Shinde gives green signal for Jalyukta Shivar 2.0
The Indian Express | 4 hours ago | 08-12-2022 | 11:45 am
The Indian Express
4 hours ago | 08-12-2022 | 11:45 am

Maharashtra Chief Minister Eknath Shinde on Wednesday directed state officials to expedite the Jalyukta Shivar scheme and prioritise the work of desilting canals and streams.“Water availability, planning and irrigation facilities are matter of concern for farmers. A large number of watershed works, which result in irrigation potential, need to be undertaken. Jalyukta Shivar scheme has given major benefits to farmers and therefore planning must be done to expedite the scheme now,” said Shinde during a review meeting of the soil and water conservation department.Shinde directed that financial as well as human resources should be provided to increase the scale of works under the scheme, which was implemented between 2014 and 2019, when Devendra Fadnavis was the chief minister of Maharashtra. After the Maha Vikas Aghadi government came to power, allegations of malpractices were made and Jalyukta Shivar was halted.The Indian Express had, in October, reported that Jalyukta Shivar – a pet scheme of Fadnavis – is set to make a comeback and the newer version of the scheme will have a mix of technical and social approach towards water conservation.When contacted, Fadnavis said the state government is relaunching the Jalyukta Shivar scheme. Jalyukta Shivar 2.0 will include approximately 5,000 new villages where technical works of water conservation —  such as deepening and widening of water bodies, construction of small earthen dams and digging of farm ponds — will take place. These are villages which were not covered during the 2014-2019 phase of the scheme. The other component of the scheme will include more than 22,000 villages where water conservation works were carried out from 2014 to 2019. The work here will be about spreading water literacy, water management and conservation principles.

CM Shinde gives green signal for Jalyukta Shivar 2.0
Data taken from telecom firm leaks, vehicle portals, not UIDAI: Police
The Indian Express | 4 hours ago | 08-12-2022 | 11:45 am
The Indian Express
4 hours ago | 08-12-2022 | 11:45 am

Days after Mumbai Police’s Crime Branch busted a racket that supplied private data of individuals at a price, officials said the information had not been obtained from UIDAI — which secures Aadhaar card data — but was compiled from three to four different sources.The Crime Branch also arrested two more accused in the case from Pune on Tuesday, taking the total number of arrests in the case to six, including an accused who was arrested from Telangana.In the last week of November, the Crime Branch had arrested two brothers, Rahul (28) and Nikhil Eligati (25), who had created the websites — ‘tracenow.co.in’ and ‘www.fonivotech.com’ — which allegedly provided private data of residents of Maharashtra, Gujarat and Delhi.The data included everything from a person’s Aadhaar card number, address, date of birth and mobile numbers of relatives. This data was sold mainly to loan recovery agents at a monthly subscription cost of Rs 2,000,half-year subscription cost of Rs 12,000 or an annual subscription cost of Rs 24,000. A senior officer said that with six arrests so far, the Crime Branch has found that the accused had complied personal data of individuals from three to four places, including data leaked by telecom companies, vehicle data portals, and a popular Internet company, among others.“While initially we were looking into the possibility that the accused may have had access to the UIDAI server, it turns out that this is not the case,” said the officer.He added, “So far during the probe, we have found that the main purpose of the portal was to provide alternate details of people who took loans from loan recovery agents and had not paid back the amount. Some of them change their numbers and even addresses, which is when numbers of family members and neighbours are used by agents to track them down. Since the amounts involved are huge, they are willing to pay these portals for access to details.”An officer said that they have also identified the ‘mastermind’ of the racket, the seventh accused in the case who is currently on the run. “Once we arrest the seventh accused, we will get complete clarity on the manner in which the entire operation was carried out,” said the officer.So far, those arrested include three persons from Mumbai, two from Pune and one from Telangana.

Data taken from telecom firm leaks, vehicle portals, not UIDAI: Police